We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to take elderly parents?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
where to take elderly parents?

I am taking my elderly, frail parents to Port Douglas and would love some ideas on where to take them (limited mobility ).

Also plain eating habits... HELP !

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to take elderly parents?

If they would like to see the Great Barrier Reef I'd suggest Quicksilver which is a very large, stable, comfortable catamaran which is walk-on-walk-off and takes you to the outer edge of the Reef. There is an underwater viewing deck where you can watch fish, snorkellers and divers - also semi-submersible boats which is probably as close to snorkelling you can get without getting wet.

Nearby Wildlife Habitat has easy level walkways and is a must-do. Tropical birds fly around you freely under a huge canopied area with lagoons and tropical trees and vegetation, outside there's a full range of Aussie animals and reptiles.

If you have a car there are some lovely drives - up to tiny Daintree Village - over the Daintree River and through the rainforest to Cape Tribulation - up the range to the cooler Atherton Tablelands (Cairns Highlands) with it's lakes and waterfalls and farmlands.

Two of our favourite eating spots are the Courthouse Hotel (wonderful steaks and they also have daily specials) and the Tin Shed right on the waterfront with a lovely timber deck and a view up the coast - a range of bistro-type meals.

I hope this helps.

yungaburra
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to take elderly parents?

Hi Sophie,

Yes to taking parents to Rainforest Habitat in Port Douglas, where they can have breakfast with the birds and see lots of wildlife. Just lovely and a huge breakfast buffet to suit all tastes. When in Port, do also hunt for the Four Mile takeaway, just off the main road in. It is where the locals go and is a must do if your parents would enjoy some true "fish and chips" to take down the beach for an early dinner. You don't just get flake, you choose between barramundi, coral trout etc!!

If you have a car, a little trip up the pretty Rex range would be nice. A great look out half way and then head into the Mt Molloy pub for lunch.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to take elderly parents?

I'd forgotten about the Four Mile takeaway - a great spot, as is the traditional old Mt Molloy pub.

Sadly one of the other really good little fish (and other meals) cafes, EJ's on Macrossan Street has now gone as the whole building - one of the last remaining original buildings in Macrossan Street - is about to be demolished. Hmmm - I think they call it progress!!??

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to take elderly parents?

Sunbird has given some very good advice. Dining I would also mention Salsa Restaurant for a slightly more upmarket meal, yet not overly expensive. Staff are always friendly, service is always excellent and the food can only be described as very tasty. Also Hartleys creek crocodile attack show is not to difficult and the Lady Douglas is an easy way to see the Dicksons Inlet out of the Port Douglas Marina. Sailaways sunset cruise may also be a possiblity.

Mareeba, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: where to take elderly parents?

Mt Molloy pub is a great spot for lunch with good access for elderly people. It is a bit cooler than the coast so makes for a relaxing lunch after a nice drive up through the rainforest. After lunch check out the interesting shop across the road, selling local treasures and opals cut on site.

Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to take elderly parents?

On macrossan street there is a great Italian restaurant, bel cibo it is upstairs but has ramp access off grant street. It's not expensive & the chef is the owner so the food & service is always good. I think although Salsa is good it may be a little busy & loud for elderly patrons. Sunbird has mentioned plenty of trips etc.. to do. Do your activities in the morning when it's cooler, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

7. Re: where to take elderly parents?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:17