We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a car in Port Douglas?

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Need a car in Port Douglas?

Hi.

Quick question; coming to PD for 5 nights in Nov and staying centrally. Is it worth hiring a car to see Mossman gorge/The Daintree region or any other attractions in the vicinity? Is this just worth one day trip? If so, would you hire from PD or Cairns (bearing in mind that if we don't hire from Cairns Airport we need transfers).

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a car in Port Douglas?

I would hire the car from the airport as the transfers will cost you around $34 each each way. There are many self drive day trips you can do from Port including Hartleys croc farm, the Daintree or even head back the other way and spend a day looking around Cairns and Kuranda.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a car in Port Douglas?

Absolutely hire a car from Cairns Airport - its approx 1 hr drive north to PD plus you need to drive to Cape Tribulation.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a car in Port Douglas?

I hired a car only when I did some trips out of PD. I don't think it's necessary to have one for the whole time you're there. But it's up to you, though I found it relaxing NOT having to drive from CNS to PD after a a longish flight and being tired, was nice to relax and get driven there!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,190 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a car in Port Douglas?

You can do tours from PD, but IMO it's an absolute must to have your own transport. As the OP who said get a car, it will allow you the freedom to travel where and when you want, and do all those day trips. The Atherton Tablelands is another, this trip is minmum of half a day, and that's rushed. The tablelands have lovely lakes, wonderful waterfalls and delicious delights (sorry).

Safe travels - Robert

5. Re: Need a car in Port Douglas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:16