We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quicksilver barrier reef

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
quicksilver barrier reef

My wife and I wish to visit the barrier reef without getting our feet wet. Has anyone any experience of the quicksilver tour? Or can they reccommend any other companies?

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Brett's Outback Tasting Adventures
Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Daintree Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Updraught Microlights and Hang Gliders
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quicksilver barrier reef

Absolutely! Quicksilver is our favourite cruise operator and we always recommend them especially to non- or nervous-swimmers. Their catamarans are, however, very large so some folks do prefer smaller boats. But they are totally professional and take you to a huge, stable platform right on the outer edge of the Great Barrier Reef which really is where you want to be for the best coral/fish viewing.

Semi-submersible boats give you the closest experience to snorkelling that you can get without getting your feet wet - also an underwater viewing platform where you can watch the divers and snorkellers and passing marine life in comfort. Even helicopter trips are available although we've heard that you really don't see much apart from water!

They operate out of Port Douglas and have coach transfers from Cairns to PD.

Cairns, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: quicksilver barrier reef

Quicksilver offers a pontoon where you can experience the GBR without gettng your feet wet. Glass bottom boat, Underwater viewing platform & Seawalkers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quicksilver barrier reef

Agree with Sunbird Quicksilver sounds like the tour for you, if you like big fast catamarans this is the one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quicksilver barrier reef

I have done the quicksilver tour and am booked to go again later this year ...... yes its a big boat , yes it has HEAPS of people on board but once you get to the pontoon everybody spreads out and it really isnt crowded at all.

My sis stayed dry and still had a great time with the viewing area and semi submersible

Highly recommend :)

NJ
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: quicksilver barrier reef

We are going to PD next month, our first trip, and although I don't have first hand knowledge of being on this tour, I have done extensive research and this is the tour I have chosen for my family and me. We are traveling with children and thier grandparetns. I wanted a tour that would appeal to all ages and well as those who are fearful of the water and don't want to spend all day in the water. Hopefully, we have made the right choice!! Enjoy your holiday!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,979 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: quicksilver barrier reef

We enjoyed the day with Quicksilver in May last which was not that crowded. The heli trip is a waste of money IMO.

7. Re: quicksilver barrier reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 10:28