We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

Auckland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

We have been to PD several times and the one thing lacking seems to be cafe/restaurant owners that offer anything beyond fish and chips/nuggets and chips/burger and chips etc for kids. They need at least one lot of vegetables over a week! Can anyone recommend a place that either has a decent kids menu or suitable meals for them? Also, do any of them have the simple "keep the kids quiet" solution of a bucket of toys? We try hard not to bother patrons without kids, and that would help a great deal.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,304 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

it is hard...

most places are no go..LOL my vege kids, one said eating the menu is more tasty than eating from the menu

my solution has always been to ask the restaurant will they half size a meal, or will they do an entree and add few veg on the side. Most will oblige but it won't be a cheap option. it's easier to make an smaller entree than to do the kids food.

i've never even asked restaurants (or anywhere my kids visit) to supply toys, most are so gross I wouldn't let the kids touch them, I've always taken anything we needed to keep them occupied, same as a long haul flight. Places like Toys R us have great things for girls like polly pocket kitchens, pet parlours etc, no space required,a few mini cars (and sheet of paper to make a race track, or even lego for boys that can make any number of things. Scissors and glue go a long way and if at a pizza place I often asked for an off cut of dough, whizz out a few sparkles from a zip lock bag and the kids are in heaven

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

Spinnakers Restaurant at Port Douglas Yacht Club is family friendly. The whole building is open plan with plenty of outdoor seating on the lawns that is very popular with families. They don't supply toys but the kids are able to move around a bit more and provided you don't let them run around screaming you won't get any complaints.

The meals are good and the boys in the kitchen are usually very obliging with any requests.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

Talk to the waitress/waiter and tell them that you need something a little more healthy and i am sure they will come up with some options. Ask for vegetables or salad instead of chips. Scan the menu and see what can be amended - remember they want your patronage and don't compromise. Entrees sometimes can be amended for kids - when our son was little I use to often go down this path.

Take you own toys/activities, would never expect a restaurant to provide the gear but when it is your own it can be cleaned and maintained to your own standards.

It's nice to take your kids to a restaurant and they learn how to behave in this type of setting. Nothing worse than families that let their kids run wild.

pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

Where are you staying??

There is a Tavern in the local Four Mile Beach residential area that caters for families. We had a four year old in our party when we dined there are they have a corner with toys available for young children to play at safely. The food is great and very reasonably priced. The decor lacks love, but family friendly and clean.

Auckland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

A very belated thanks for the replies. We are staying just off Macrossan, but will take up all the suggestions (although I don't know that I've ever been organised enough to have a zip lock bag of sparkles on me!). What is the name of the tavern in the residential area? I think I have been past it once before when exploring down in that area.

Can't wait for PD in August! We missed out on summer here in Auckland, we'll really be needing some warmth by then!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,304 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

Shove it in the handbag long before, no weight and can be added to glue, thrown in the air for fairy dust etc... if you get the little tape ones makes for a good treasure hunt...how many stars did you get... cheap cant cheerful and most adults never complain about it!

7. Re: Suitable cafes/restaurants for four year olds in Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:15