We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsea v's Central Plaza

Melbourne
1 post
Save Topic
Portsea v's Central Plaza

Hi,

My husband and I are heading to PD end of April and are debating about accomodation. Main highlights for us are pool, kitchenette facilities and inhouse movies! We are thinking of the two places above - any comments!

Also what would the weather be like then - I keep checking weather and it says rain and storms - will that clear by mid to late April (20th - 28th).

Thanks

tania

Cairns Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portsea v's Central Plaza

The Portsea is a fun property, there are lagoon pools in the centre of the property with many water features, there is also a swim up pool bar which serves food throughout the day which is quite handy. The property is right next to the beach footpath also so just 2 minutes walk and your're on the beach. The studio rooms are basic, but you mentioned kitchenette facilities and thats what they have. There is atmosphere here. There is cable tv here too.

Central Plaza offers spacious fully self contained apartments with full kitchen facilties. They offer in house movies too. There is a large pool and undercover bbq facilities.

Mid to late April you may still find that we are having a number of rain showers, its difficult to say. There is a low passing at the moment which should have cleared by the time you arrive. Its not all bad when it rains though its still warm! everything runs as usual, best time to visit the rainforest, and on most occasions it can be raining all day on land but perfect blue skies at the reef!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portsea v's Central Plaza

Both are good style accommodation, with Central Plaza being the closest into town and better kitchen facilities.

Portsea is a chain style hotel managed by the Breakfree group, whereas Central Plaza is owned and managed by local people that are onhand daily.

Pick between the two,I'd go for Central Plaza. They get great feedback on this forum and I think that's always a good sign.

Weather is very difficult to predict this year,as the Wet started much later than anticipated, but normally you should start to see much less rain and a little less humidity towards end of April.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portsea v's Central Plaza

Hi Tania,

We stayed 4 nights at the Breakfree Portsea in November and were very happy with it. We had a room facing the pool on the top floor and it had a great balcony for us to sit on. We weren't often in the hotel though as were running about seeing things but it was nice to go back to. Kitchen was fine, fairly simple but adequate for the one meal we had and teas/coffees. I did remember thinking there wasn't enough washing liquid if we had wanted to cook meals every day.

The breakfast buffet was fine, lots of cereals/pastries but for us the fresh fruit and toast was enough. We got it as part of the package but saw lots of people having brekkie on the balcony. Location wise it was fine too, within walking distance of the town, a nice distance to walk off dinner. I had read many reviews of damp and mould in the rooms but we weren't there in the wet season so maybe that's a consideration for you? Pool was fine, but we were only in it once and all the deck chairs bar 2 in the corner were taken. Maybe I didn't see the whole pool, but I didn't think it was particularly huge. Guess it depends on what you want to do in the day.

Hope this helps.