We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Isles Cruise Vs Outer Reef Snorkelling Trip??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Low Isles Cruise Vs Outer Reef Snorkelling Trip??

Hi TA's,

I've been to Port Douglas a couple of years ago & did a dive/snorkelling trip to Agingcourt Reef which was amazing. I am going to PD again next month and want to do 2 snorkelling trips but don't really want to pay $200 per trip.

I've looked at the Low Isles and can get a good deal for $150 for a day trip and I've looked where it is on the map, obviously not far from PD. I wanted to know what the quality of the reef is like here compared to the Outer Reef? I went to Green Island last time too and that was a real let down, no coral and hardly any fish. Will the Low Isles be the same, as it's a Coral Cay?? Will I still see lots of coral and fish here??

Thanks for your help!

pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Isles Cruise Vs Outer Reef Snorkelling Trip??

I love Low Isles, lots of coral, fish, turtles and you can snorkel straight from the beach. The array may not be as great as the outer reef but still wonderful.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Isles Cruise Vs Outer Reef Snorkelling Trip??

We did lower islands and it was a nice day. However, one thing I would do if I went bak is not get back on the boat for lunch as this wastes a serious amount of time getting ferried back to the main boat and then back to the island for the short afternoon session.

I saw a reef shark close up and lots of fish. Oral good but not as good obviously as outer reef.

It's a different experience reaaly. More boats around as well. We enjoyed it and Tom our kids their taste of snorkeling.

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
278 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Isles Cruise Vs Outer Reef Snorkelling Trip??

Low Isles is amazing, loads of coral and loads of big fish as it is a protected area, and has been for a long time. Only downer with Low Isles is the visibility is never as good as the outer reef. Sand/sediment, thus can be a bit murky.But it is all pretty shallow so really visibility not a big deal.

4. Re: Low Isles Cruise Vs Outer Reef Snorkelling Trip??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 10:17