We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Hi All

I am thinking of a quick break in Port Douglas mid December.

I have heard conflicting reports about swimming at the beach this time of year.

Can anyone advise re stingers in the beach and whether or not I can swim in December? I've heard people talk about nets in the ocean to keep marine life out, do the nets keep stingers out as well?

If stingers are going to be a problem I will consider a location further south, like Mooloolabah or Noosa.

Any advice and knowledge appreciated.

Cheers

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

december is stinger season.

nets will be out.

they may keep the box jelly fish out but not the irukandji

it's always better to wear a stinger suit

and consult with the life guards and look out for the signs.

http://www.marinestingers.com.au/

all u have to worry about on the sunshine coast is bluebottles.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Thanks lien

I cant be bothered with a stinger suit so may consider a destination further south.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

I met an old woman at Palm Cove years ago when we first started to go up to Nth Queensland and she said to us thank christ for the stingers or this place would be full of highrise buildings, people and devolpment every where.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

I'm hearing you micklaw!

Go the stingers......

I too live in an environment that is unfavorable to mass tourism at times and love the place for that very reason. No sea in sight where I am, more a desert landscape, dirt, dust and snakes....

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Hi. This time of the year is during the stinger season. The main beaches of the region have designated, netted and protected areas along the beaches that are monitored daily. Every resort has a swimming pool also and the outer reef day trips are away fro the stingers.

The best solution is to shift your swim from the beautiful beaches to the crystal clear rainforest streams that are clear, cool and one of the best swimming spots you will find across the globe.

Check out places like Mossman Gorge on google images or visit www.tpdd.com.au to find out more.

pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Tick,tick and tick. Yes, there are stingers, but the ups far outweight the downs.

Less crowds, swims in the rainforests, cheaper options and good deals all round.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Yep, nothing like a rainforest when it's just rained.

Cairns
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Take a read of this interview from a Professor

cairnsattractions.com.au/cairns-jellyfish.php

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

Just returned from 5 days/nights in Port Douglas.

Following my original forum post in November, I decided not to go to PD as the stinger season put me off. I ended up going to PD spur of the moment with a family member who has a unit there as she was arranging a new kitchen for her place.

I was able to swim at 4 mile beach 2 out of the 5 days, the beach was closed for the other 3 days. I'm aware of two people being stung, irukundji, and being taken to hospital in an ambulance. I went to PD fully aware it was stinger season and beach swimming would be limited to within the nets.

I concur with micklaw in #3....... If PD didn't have a stinger season, the place would be wrecked, possibly high rise developments and all else that goes with mass non stop tourism.

I really enjoyed the experience of being in a tropical region and found other ways to explore seen as though I couldn't spend my days beach swimming. Swimming at Mossman Gorge was fantastic, loved it. My day trip into the Daintree was a highlight. A boat cruise on the Lady Douglas where I saw a croc and a magnificent sea eagle was amazing. The burgers at the Beaches Cafe on the Esplanade were delicious.

I won't review where I stayed as it was a family members unit and I resided there as a free guest while she was arranging some renovations and refurbs. It was on Macrosson Street some near the Rivers shop and I found it a great location re beach access and walking to and from shopping and dining trips. Even if the place wasn't a family members and I had to pay for my accom, I would chose to stay in that area again.

I will return to PD in June/July, not this year as I have a trip to Laos planned at that time, so maybe next year.

Thanks to all for the feedback

Happy travels.....

10. Re: Swimming in Port Douglas in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 05:15