We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bedford
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

We're taking our English Children to Port Douglas for a 6 night stay in April. As we're only there for a short time can someone please recommend the things we must do whilst we're there. We've already decided upon a Quicksilver trip from the reviews I've read but could really do with some help in deciding what else we really should do. Thanks

bedford
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

After I posted this I've read rave reviews of wavelength. Should we snorkle with Wavelength or Quicksilver? Help

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

i like wavelength.

small boat, max 30 pax, snorkel only. great crew . emphasis on safety. good food. 3 great places to snorkel on the reef.

other places to go are cape trib, daintree, crocodile river cruise, hartleys crocodile farm, kuranda skyway/scenic railway

Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

We go to Port Douglas a couple of times a year with our kids. They love the Wildlife Habitat on the edge of Port Douglas, also the lagoon area in Cairns for a day of leisurely free swimming. Cairns Zoo also excellent. Mossman Gorge well worth a look. Sky rail great. As you can see plenty to do. The Daintree is great for us adults but it can be a little boring for kids. Have a great holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

absolutely wave length. Much smaller and can highly recommend. We did this one with son and they were so professional and a fab day.

Quicksilver seem to caters for the hoards of group tourists.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 22:11
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

Agree about Wavelength. Quicksilver much more touristy, however if your children aren't confident swimmers Quicksilver may be a better option. Go with a smaller boat if you can. I'd agree with the other day trip suggestions as well. Cairns Night Zoo really good too. Our friends with children your age went to both Hartleys and the Zoo and preferred the Zoo, because more animals to see. Have fun

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,174 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

I've been out with Wavelength 5 times and I think they are great. Our first Wavelength trip was with our then 9-year-old son and he had a great time snorkeling. But, it may not be the best choice for every family with younger children.

The Wavelength boat is small, so there is no room to easily move about and you pretty much spend all the travel time (90 minutes each way) sitting on a bench on the boat. This could be difficult for some children to do. Also, Wavelength is pretty much all about snorkeling, so there are no other activities such as underwater observatories or semi-submersible boat rides. When you aren't snorkeling, you are sitting on the boat.

If you think your children will need more space and/or other activities other than snorkeling, then Quicksilver may be the better choice. If your kids are enthusiastic about a day in the water, then Wavelength can't be beat.

7. Re: Port Douglas with children age 7 and 9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 07:16