We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrier Reef - Which company????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Barrier Reef - Which company????

We are at P.D in July and as a family would like to go out to the reef for a trip to snorkel and see what there is to see. Which is best the Low reef or the Outer rEeef? Is one better snorkeling??Which boat / company would people recommend? I would prefer to stay away from the big boats that look like cattle trucks having experienced one out of Hamilton island before. Anything else I need to know? Thankyou so much Jo Lane

Melbourne
Level Contributor
16 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

Hi we have used both Quicksilver & Calypso & although we enjoyed Quicksilver many people don't like how crowded it can be. We loved Calypso & have recommended it to friends. The boat was excellent & the numbers small enough to be comfortable.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

"wavelength' to the outer reef.

www.wavelength.com.au

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

I would definitely opt for the outer reef as a much better snorkeling experience.

I agree that Quicksilver boats are too big for my liking. They are fine for people who don't want to get wet as they have non swimming opportunities. Wavelength gets good reviews here. I can't recommend anything else because the boat we've always used and been happy with no longer operates 😥

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

Outer reef for sure

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

I've been to both the Low Isles and the Outer Reef. The Low Isles is good for people who are hesitant to snorkel in deep water since you can snorkel from the beach there. There is decent sealife and coral, but it's not nearly as good or abundant as what you will find at the Outer Reef. So, my choice would also be the Outer Reef.

I've been out with Wavelength on each of my 5 trips to Port Douglas. I have also been out on other boats so I can compare them. The other boats are good, but Wavelength is better. It's a small (30 passenger maximum), snorkel-only boat to the Outer Reef which, deservedly, gets rave reviews.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

We loved Wavelength. Nice small boat, great service.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

Thankyou.

Did you book ahead or did you wait to sse what the weather is like closer to the time. We are going early July.

Kind regards Jo

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

we book ahead but they have a very flexible change policy if the weather is not looking too good on the chosen day.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

When we make a quick trip to PD (3-day), we book our trip with Wavelength in advance so we don't miss going out with them.. When we have a longer visit (5 - 7 days), we wait until we get there to see how the weather is looking for the week.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barrier Reef - Which company????

We had most wonderful snorkeling trip on Calypso at Pt Douglas last year. they take you to 3 different places. food good and staff is very friendly. we are going again with Calypso in July. Lily