We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long to Stay?

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
How Long to Stay?

Hi

Just trying to plan my trip I really only (unfortunately) have 10-11 days for my trip to Australia in November which includes travel time bewteen the East Coast of America to Australi. 7 days 6 nights are already booked in Sydney but I need to figure out how long to stay in PD. I want to come up to Port Douglas to snorkel the GBR (already looking into wavelength). I had originally only planned for 2 nights in PD. First being an arrival from SYD at 4pm; and then snorkel the full 2nd day; stay that night; and then fly back to SYD the morning of the 3rd day. I'm thinking though I should try to alter my arrangements to spend a 3rd night in PD? This way we will have two full days available for snorkeling in the event of poor weather conditions. And to also have the opportunity to go to Kuranda or do something else that extra day?

I say all that to ask is 2 nights enough?? I can do a little switching of my nights in Sydney to allow for a 3rd night in PD.

I will also add; that I am flying to Cairns on the same day as my arrival from America. So I will have traveled over 24 hours in flights before checking in and probably wanting nothing more than to sleep that first night.

Thanks!

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long to Stay?

I recommend staying the 3rd night, just so you feel a little better and get used to the time difference. The trip to the reef is generally a full day and with the snorkelling and sun you will be tired after a day of that also. If you are only snorkelling you will be fine to fly the next day however if you intend to dive it is recommended you don't fly for at least 24 hours after. A full day at the reef wont give you much time at all to see anything else.

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long to Stay?

Thanks! We don't Dive so it will just be snorkeling. I'm leaning towards the 3 night as well...trying to research hotels/apartments now!

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long to Stay?

If you are staying 3 nights, go to the Daintree and Mossman Gorge which are much closer to PD than Kuranda.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long to Stay?

Definitely stay 3 nights. You will probably be a jet lagged wreck for a few days after flying from the USA. We recently stayed in PD for 5 nights and I wish we had longer. There is so much to see and do. I agree that Daintree/Cape Trib is much better than Kurunda if you have to choose between them.

I assume you will be hiring a car?

We did a snorkel-only trip with Calypso. It was great.

Abs :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long to Stay?

Stay in port Douglas as long as u can !! I full day on the reef .. 1 full day tour up to cape tribulation 1 day doing shopping / four mile beach / perhaps mossman gorge.. It's only 15 mins from PD .. Then visit silky oaks lodge for a cocktail if u have a car ? If u are in PD on a Sunday morning make sure u go to the market !

6. Re: How Long to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:21