We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October 5 nights- port d/cape trib advice please!!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
October 5 nights- port d/cape trib advice please!!!

Hi all! Planning a 5 night trip to FNQ over october long weekend with my best friend who is visiting oz for first time from overseas (without partners and children woohoo!). I've been before years ago (and am addicted to cape trib!) but am feeling overwhelmed at what itinerary makes the most sense with a first timer who wants a bit of luxury. Port d the whole time? or split time between cape trib and port d? How many nights in each? Don't want to stay in cairns this time though will pop in on way in/out. We definitely want one day out on a boat snorkelling on the reef. Thoughts on doing this from cape trib? Or port d? Reputable Companies who do this? ive only ever done tours from cairns. Want to visit mosmann gorge one day. a day to chill in port d (nice meal, massage, etc) a day or two for jungle living (exotic fruit tasting, night walks, crocodile tour on daintree river etc) Will definitely be renting a car (best options for rental cars from airport or town? We don't need 4wd ). Probably wont do atherton tablelands this time. Or river rafting. Just want time to relax and explore and not feel too rushed. Appreciate all your insights! Would also love accom recs- in cape trib I've stayed at fern tree and cape beach house in the past but curious about the other places (sanctuary , farmstay, maybe some others that have popped up, etc) . In port d I have only stayed at thala lodge (with an old boyfriend lol). Thanks for all your help and advice! Yay far North Queensland!!!!

Goolwa, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October 5 nights- port d/cape trib advice please!!!

Hi my sister and I have just returned from Port Douglas. Reef sprinter best trip out to Lowe Isles for a snorkel we didn't want to spend a whole day out and this was perfect. I had a couple of really good massages, one in Mossman at Pure with Tan and the other with Ninn in Port Douglas. Would also recommend a meal at the Beach Shack in Port Douglas. The best coffee is at origin. Hope this helps we had a fantastic time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October 5 nights- port d/cape trib advice please!!!

Hi,

I suggest just staying in PD & do day trips to Cape Tribulation as there is more on offer in PD regarding restaurants, cafes & boat tours.

www.wavelength.com.au

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October 5 nights- port d/cape trib advice please!!!

thanks very much ! appreciate your advice. i think we will stay in port d the whole time and just day trip up to cape trib (though i swear in a different life, i want to LIVE in cape tribulation, i LOVE It there!). do you have any recommendations of good places to stay in port douglas? we are willing to spend up to $250 a night (though less of course is always preferred). a swimming pool would be lovely though not essential. and mostly just want EITHER a cool jungle eco vibe like thala lodge or mai tai resort (in the hinterland), OR somewhere with an awesome location near beach/town with nice open airy breezes and a good vibe (if not a good view). ;-) any ideas would be greatly apprecaited! thanks for your advice on the reef trip, will definitely contact them (though may wait to book til we get there as weather can be so finicky up there!). anyone done the tropical wine tasting in cassowary? sounds awesome

4. Re: October 5 nights- port d/cape trib advice please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas