We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing trip

melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
fishing trip

hi,

was wandering if anyone could help me out. we head to port douglas every year and have done for the past 10 years for 3 weeks. we book at least 2 times a holiday to go out on a charted boat fishing which is great however very expensive. my question is this- does anyone know of a friend/ relative who is retired or a keen fisherman that is willing to take my father in law and myself out fishing in their boat fishing where we are able to catch similar fish to the ones caught on the charters? we are keen to go out in the sea. we are more than happy to pay for fuel, bait, any tackle needed, and we will throw in a bit extra $$$ for your troubles? so if you want a bit of company when you go fishing during the dates 30/9 -20/10/13 plus an extra dollar please let me know. we are very flexable in the above request

paul

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing trip

Insurance? Anyone who takes you out is opening themselves up to possibly, a huge expense if anything unforeseen were to happen.

It really isn't worth losing your boat, money or house just to take someone out fishing who doesn't want to pay for a charter.

The reason why charters cost what they do is because they have insurance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,833 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing trip

This kind of thing happens all around Aus at the sailing clubs.

The only expense would be if the OP decided to sue.

If some one was that concerned I'm sure the OP would be more than happy to sign a simple waiver that absolves the boaty from legal action.

Old fishos love to sit together and swap stories, the money might not be the driving force. It might very well be meeting and sharing a common love.

yes insurance costs money but it is a lot more expensive to crew a charter and operate a business.

Lets leave it up to the people who this is asking to make an offer.

OP your best place to ask might well be at the tin shed

thetinshed-portdouglas.com.au/FISHING-CLUB.6…

melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing trip

insurance!!!!!!!!

i think you are missing the point..... i own a boat down in melb myself and i take mates out fishing- sometimes they bring along a mate that i've only just met- insurances dont even cross my mind. the only thing here that im probably guilty of is avoiding paying the charter company which affects the tourism game however in the scene of thing i think its minor....

just thought it would be a good opportunity to meet a local or locals and wet a line.....

worse case scenario we pay to go out on the charters like i have for 10years

melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing trip

Thanks for your input.... I agree- let the folk I am appealing towards to make their judgement.

I will try the tin shed

Ta

melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing trip

Thanks for your input.... I agree- let the folk I am appealing towards to make their judgement.

I will try the tin shed

Ta

melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing trip

I will try the tin shed

Ta

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fishing trip

Hi are you going to portdouglas this year ? If so I want to head out fishing for a day wanting to go for sport fish like small black marlin ,Spanish Mac , tuna & GTs if you are keen portdouglas sport fishing charters have a rate of $850 for the day it would be approx $285 ea I will be there from the 15th October to the 20th cheers

8. Re: fishing trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2015, 05:15