We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public BBQ's

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public BBQ's

Hi,

My OH are I are visiting Port Douglas for 5 days in November and were hoping to spend one evening outside relaxing over one of the public BBQ's watching the world go by.

However, neither of us have visited Australia before and so we have no idea how the public BBQ's and the etiquette of using one works. Are there usually plenty available or can they get busy. What sort of time would you need to be around to 'claim' one if they usually all get taken up and do people share or form queues? Do you need any money or resources to use them (other than food), and what is the done thing with regards to cleaning them?

Lastly, I have read that there are two locations in Port Douglas with public BBQ's. Would those who know Port Dogulas well recommend those at the Esplanade by the Beach or the ones at Anzac Park?

Thank you! :)

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public BBQ's

Have you considered buying a small single burner propane gas BBQ?. They sell them in stores such as big w and kmart for 20 work for ages and don't have to worry about the often dirty BBQ also can cook bacon and eggs for breaky etc, just a thought. Lou darwin

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public BBQ's

There should be enough public barbecues to share in November. The ones on the Esplanade will get a cool sea breeze, and you'll be able to watch the sunset from Anzac Park. There's also likely to be a barbecue wherever you are staying. Maybe take a roll of aluminium foil to put on the public barbecue & to cook on.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public BBQ's

The Esplanade BBQ is a very popular location with the Backpackers but you shouldn't have a problem if you get there around 5ish.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public BBQ's

The public BBQ's at the Esplanade are not really what I would call a BBQ. They are basically a sheet of metal. Not the grate kind where you see the charcoal or the propane strip. Not sure what you are use to in the UK. They were free of charge.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 01:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Public BBQ's

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. Anotherportlocal (and anyone else!), do you have a preference between spending an evening relaxing on the Esplanade or at Anzac park? Also, from Snorkellady's description do I understand that the BBQ's are more like hot grill plates? Aluminium foil sounds like a great idea to save on washing up! Otherwise, if the BBQ's were all full, are disposable BBQ's available from local stores and are you allowed to use them in public areas? Lastly, is any of the local wildlife obtrusive or requires looking out for if you're picnicking in the park or on the beach?

Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public BBQ's

Disposable BBQs are darn near impossible to buy here in supermarkets... we often hit rebel come BBQs galore and buy the cheapest one around (not an option unless you drive up from cairns) You might pick a disposable one up at bunnings but the $30 one is your next choice

The BBQs are basically a hot plate

Seagulls can be the big issue in parks but not in PD that i have ever had an issue with

Etiquette wise you kind of plonk your meat on the side of the bbQ in a line up and when it reaches your turn to cook you go for it.

Sometimes if you only have small amount people will share the plate

Personally i like Anzac park as you are slightly protected from the onshore breeze if there is one

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public BBQ's

Dont worry about a BBQ, get some cold seafood from Coles and have a picnic on the lawn at the Esplanade.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public BBQ's

In November you may be looking for the cool sea breezes on the Esplanade ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Public BBQ's

Thanks again for everyone's help. I feel much more relaxed with the idea now I understand BBQ etiquette and what to expect. Whether we end up in Anzac Park or on the Esplanade will probably depend on where our days take us. BBQ or picnic might depend on whether my OH's love of meat or cold seafood wins out!

10. Re: Public BBQ's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:20