We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas or Whitsundays?

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
66 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas or Whitsundays?

Husband and I are traveling next April. We're both in our 50's and trying to relax a bit in between Sydney and Queenstown, New Zealand. We would love to snorkel but do not scuba dive. Our travel agent suggested Port Douglas because we can snorkel as well as explore the rainforest.

We just had friends who stayed Hamilton Island....we can't do both, so I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestion - if you can only visit GBR for 3 days, would you choose to stay on the mainland at Port Douglas, or stay on one of the islands? All travel agent has told me is "they're completely different."

thanks for your input!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas or Whitsundays?

What a hard decision! We love both but they are very different. Our absolute favourite holiday is sailing the Whitsundays. hamilton island is nice but it is the surrounding islands that are spectacular. Sailing around Whitehaven beach, Hill inlet and snorkelling around Border Islqnd, Butterfly Bay or at manta ray bay etc.

Port Douglas totally different vibe. very laid back with rainforest and reef trips available.

We took our English friends to both and they loved the sailing off Hamilton Island the best. They did love port Douglas too.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
66 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas or Whitsundays?

Thanks for your reply. I decided I'm not traveling to Australia to lay on a beach for 4 days. So we've decided on port Douglas. 1 day snorkeling, one to the rainforest and one lazing on the beach! I'm sure I would've lived the whitsundays but... You can't do everything!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,557 posts
1,597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas or Whitsundays?

I'm sure you have made the right decision. The Whitsundays are gorgeous however IMO they are best experienced by sailing around the islands. Enjoy PD !

4. Re: Port Douglas or Whitsundays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:16