We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest snorkeling GBR

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Cheapest snorkeling GBR

Hi,

Visiting Australia and on a student budget, however gotta visit the Great Barrier Reef since I'm coming all the way down under.

It seems Green Island is super-commercial. I just want to have a low-cost snorkeling day trip-- don't need fancy add-ons. Want the most bang for my buck, but also a quality site. (Have heard that Green Island isn't the most impressive in terms of coral). Any outer reef suggestions?

Many thanks

sarah

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest snorkeling GBR

I think staying at Cape Tribulation could be a good option for you - good budget accommodation options, rainforest walks, beaches etc and there is a very good half-day snorkelling tour with Ocean Safari. Always gets great reviews. Current rate is $123 as opposed to $200+ for most full-day tours from Port Douglas and Cairns:

http://www.oceansafari.com.au/rates-specials/

Accommodation etc:-

destinationdaintree.com/daintree_accommodati…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest snorkeling GBR

Most tours will seem like they are a little expensive though, as they involve a long boat ride out to the reef. Anything between $100-$150 I would consider a good deal :)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest snorkeling GBR

You are right to want to do a snorkel trip to the Outer Reef as opposed to Green Island. You'll get more "bang for your buck" just by being at the Outer Reef.

You have posted on the Port Douglas board, so can we assume that you will be staying in Port Douglas rather than Cairns (where the Green Island tours originate)? If so, I highly recommend that you do your Outer Reef tour with Wavelength. I've been out with them 5 times and it's not for nothing that they get all the rave reviews here on TA. Their rates are slightly higher than what some of the other GBR boats charge, but you get so much more for your money, especially the personal attention since they carry no more than 30 passengers.

You will not find any full-day trips to the Outer Reef for under $200 when you add in all the various reef taxes, jetty fees, admin fees, GST, etc. (The good thing about Wavelength is that their advertised rate includes most, if not all, of those taxes and fees.) Most of the total fares are going to be $220 - $235.

Hull
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest snorkeling GBR

Have been recommended to do a fast trip out to the reef rather than being on boat all day. Will be in P Douglas in 2 days. Any recommended fast trips out?

Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
65 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest snorkeling GBR

The reef sprinter is awesome! not too expensive!

6. Re: Cheapest snorkeling GBR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:15