We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

7 posts
Save Topic
Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

Hi there all, Have narrowed down Liveboard choices to these two. Can I please have feedback on which would be the best for an unforgettable memory, dive sites with lots of colour this time would be good & a bit of pampering etc. Also can any one tell me if Wavelength snorkelling goes to the Agincourt reef please, another family member enquiring on that. Many thanks

R2K
DC
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

Took the Spirit of Freedom for a 4-day venture in Sept. 05 and had the time of our lives.

Great crew and fantastic boat. Flew to Lizard Island, and then went out to Osprey Reefs and the ride was a bit rough crossing out, but smooth once you got into the reefs. The dive sites were all spectacular and the diving was relaxed and generally not rushed. The food was really good - well prepared, tasty and sometimes exotic.

Generally had a great time and the crew was always upbeat and looking to take care of you.

Sorry - no experience with Mike Ball --

Midwest
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

We had the time of our lives on Mike Balls spoilsport...I had used this site to make alot of decisions for our Aussie trip and always promised myself to get back on and do the same for others.

I don't know about the other but we definately got spoiled on Spoilsport... Very pro team and really catered to every need both underwater and on the boat.

All the best!

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

I’m surprised be Sasstastic’s rave review. We were on the Spoilsport May 2008, possibly at the same time. We booked the week long trip to the Coral Sea and Cod Hole. The diving was great, as it typically is on the Barrier Reef, and the staff gave it there best effort. But the AC went out on the second day, and it wasn’t repaired for the duration of the trip. Which meant the cabins were wicked hot (despite the fans that were issued half way through the trip) and the lounge/dining area was unbearable. Having lost access to the common space, the boat seemed very small very quickly. On our return, I contacted the Mike Ball office regarding a partial refund, but never received a response.

As I said the diving was good, but I wish the dive briefings had been more thorough. Frequently, the dive staff wasn’t sure about current strength or direction. But the sites were pristine and I enjoyed most dives. The cook was wonderful and I don’t know how he carried on in the heat.

All in all, I was disappointed with the Mike Ball experience and don’t intend to take Mike Ball next time.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

despite this thread being from 2006, it seems all too peculiar that this topic has popped up at this time.

On the front page of Cairns Weekend post newspaper is the report that 2 people were Extremely lucky to have survived 7 hours lost at sea on Mike Ball's vessel Spoilsport at Lizard Island.

Coincidence, or something more extraordinary...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

One time forum posters too

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

Note that my entry was posted 5 days before Mike Ball lost the two divers.

7. Re: Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball Spoilsport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas