We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for hotel with restaurant

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for hotel with restaurant

Hello -

We are visiting Port Douglas the first week of April. We are having a hard time deciding whether to stay in an "apartment" type accommodation, or a hotel that has a restaurant. We are torn between Martinique on Macrossan and Thala Beach Lodge. While I recognize that the two are completely different, I'm interested in opinions on one vs. the other, or if you have another suggestion. We are not inclined to do our own cooking while on vacation, and really enjoy sampling local restaurants. Is there another hotel type accommodation in Port Douglas that has a good restaurant, but is close to Macrossan Street? The one downside that I can see with staying at Thala is the location. Thanks in advance!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,449 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for hotel with restaurant

While the Thala Beach Lodge is lovely, I would never want to stay so far outside of Port Douglas and have to either drive everywhere or rely on their shuttle service. To me, Martinique on Macrossan has an excellent location within easy walking distance of everything in town (including lots of restaurants) and the fabulous Four Mile Beach. Just because you are staying in a serviced apartment doesn't mean you have a cook, but I have always found them nice because you've got a fridge for cold drinks and you can prepare simple things like toast, coffee and cereal for breakfast (and eat in your jammies)..

Although I have not stayed at either of those properties during my several visits to PD, I have stayed in serviced apartments within walking distance of town and others that were much further away. It was definitely better being close to town.

2. Re: Suggestions for hotel with restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:28