We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do to AVOID for those those with mobility issues?

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do to AVOID for those those with mobility issues?

This may be an unusual request but my husband has undergone two major ankle operations over the last couple of years and his mobility is still quite limited. Lots of the lovely things to do I am reading about seem to involve walking a bit. I am quite active and fit so we need to come to a compromise where we can do things together without his male pride being hurt when he isn't actually capable of doing something we rock up to! I don't just want the only things we do together to be eating out:) We will have a rental car for our 10 days in Port Douglas and Palm Cove so getting around by car won't be an issue. We are also planning on heading out to the Atherton tablelands as I believe there a number of coffee plantations there and he is very serious about his coffee so a suggestion for which plantation/s we should perhaps visit would also be welcome. Many thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do to AVOID for those those with mobility issues?

You could do the Kuranda rail and sky rail with limited mobility, when you get to the top he could always have a lovely coffee in a cafe while you have a little wander around the shops. Everything else is just sitting and admiring the views :)

Also doing a reef tour should be fine, only limited walking needed to board the boat and walk down to the swimming platform. You can just slowly float along with a noodle so you don't have to use your feet too much to kick, and just do a slow breaststroke to move around.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do to AVOID for those those with mobility issues?

A barrier reef tour is perfect for the 2 of you....they came to pick me up at my accomodation....they will come to palm cove very early in the morning and drive you to cairns...enquire as to dropping you as close as possible to the marina entry. Its lovely day out on the poontoon, with a buffet lunch. Included is the glass sided mini submarine to look at the coral and fish....if anyone wants to ge5 wet go into the water as soon a soon get there. I did a private snorkel tour which was very easy and gave me some confidence, with in an hour I was off on my own. On a less strenuous day you could always participate in that fabulous aussie pastime of BINGO!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do to AVOID for those those with mobility issues?

And now to coffee....I dropped my aunty at the coffeeworks in mareeba as a surprise, came back a few hours later and she was still having fun,....coffee and chocolate tasting and looking at the coffee related items in the mini museum. This is a paid attraction in addition to a general coffee shop.....google coffee plantation tours for visits to farms.

4. Re: Things to do to AVOID for those those with mobility issues?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:18