We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

Bringing my elderly mother (86) and aunt (82) up to PD for a family wedding in July. What activities/drives would be suitable for them? We'll have a car. Staying for 5 days. Mum isn't very mobile but can walk a few hundred metres at a time.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

A drive to the Daintree Rainforest for a day with a visit to the Discovery Centre.

A trip out to the Reef on one of the big boats that goes to a fixed pontoon - no swimming required.

A drive out to Mossman Gorge

A trip to Kuranda on the sky rail.

There's very little other than perhaps snorkeling that they couldn't do as long as they take it slowly and pace themselves.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

Wildlife Habitat have boardwalks (& I think you can book a wheelchair)

Port Resort Baby Hire will deliver mobility aids to your accommodation.

Balley Hooley train (Sundays only)

Sit and watch the boats come back from their day trips, then the sunset.

Don't schedule too much. The travel will be tiring. Ask them what they would like to do. Perhaps catching up with rarely seen family members will be what they will treasure most!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

Thanks emel and anotherportlocal - You're right that catching up with family will be a highlight for them, but I'd still like to show off your beautiful region if they feel up to it. I've looked at Wildlife Habitat and I think they'd enjoy Breakfast with the Birds. Still debating which would be the best drive - Daintree to Discovery Centre or Mossman Gorge?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

The best drive will be Daintree - If you can get to Cape Trib- it is a flat walk path, or there are a few other little boardwalks on the way. I think the whole day will be a nice trip - Have lunch along the way, a few places to visit like the ice ceream place etc.

The other issue for them will be the heat. It really knocks the older folks around. The nice thing about PD is that it is flat and place like the marina will be nice for then to sit and watch.

I would probably not suggest a reef trip though as boat movement will be a problem if they want to move about.

My Mum loves the Atherton Tablelands for a drive but that's a long day

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

Good advice as always from hamiriver - definitely the drive up to Cape Tribulation through the rainforest

plus, if time permits, a short-side trip to tiny picturesque Daintree Village before you reach the ferry.

A great spot for lunch at Cape Tribulation is Whet - there's a short walk through rainforest/gardens from their car-park and then a few steps up but it's a lovely rainforest setting, good food, friendly people:-

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g499639…

I'd also second the suggestion for Wildlife Habitat just outside Port Douglas - not necessarily Breakfast with the Birds unless you are keen on having a Lorikeet poop in your breakfast (grin!) - but easy to get around their boardwalks with all those magical tropical birds flying freely around you.

July is our mid-winter so heat shouldn't be much of a problem - it's our dry season so no humidity or mozzies! At the moment we are averaging about 17C overnight up to around 27C daytime - beautiful blue skies and everything lush and green after an unusually-long rainy season.

6. Re: Activities for elderly and limited mobility?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17