We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

appropriate clothing for end of august

Adelaide
Level Contributor
102 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
appropriate clothing for end of august

Hi All,

Coming to PD on the 25th of August for 1 week to escape this hideous Adelaide winter!

I just want to pack light (have a carry on only flight) but be prepared. I understand the temps for then should be around 21-25C with mild humidity? I am staying at Thala beach lodge so want to do some nice walks around that property and will be doing a daintree day trip with down under tours and 1 or 2 visits into Town area.

I am thinking a couple of pairs of long pants, a couple of shirts short sleeve and long sleeve and maybe a couple of light dresses with a cardi thrown in just in case. Footwear- a pair of ankle boots for walking trips, a pair of sandals and a pair of thongs. Does this sound about right for this time of year?

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: appropriate clothing for end of august

Hi Gypsygirl_8

We were in PD three weeks ago. I imagine it will be warmer at the end of August. I wore shorts and short sleeve shirts every day - or a short sleeved dress. I had one pair of jeans and a light cardigan which I wore some evenings. For footwear- walking shoes, thongs and a nice pair of sandals sounds perfect. There are also lots of shops selling summer-style/resort style clothes if you should need anything while you are there.

We did a reef trip and it was quite cold out of the water - so warm jacket for that trip might be worthwhile.

Enjoy.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: appropriate clothing for end of august

I've been in PD at the end of August and it actually gets quite chilly late in the evening and early in the morning. Definitely take a jacket or a sweater.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: appropriate clothing for end of august

Which walks are you doing. IMHO proper walking boots are overkill

Joggers trainers might be more versatile

A wind proof jacket is a must but tbh for the most part you will need spring clothing..

It will still be more humid than adl

Day times are pretty much summer clothes and then the evenings need something light weight due to the lack of sun or the breeze from the water

pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: appropriate clothing for end of august

Don't forget your swim suit and hat, you will be surprised how hot it can be in the sun and out of the wind.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: appropriate clothing for end of august

Hi,

Being from Adelaide you will find Port Douglas tropical in temperature as well as Latitude.

The usual rules of travel apply, take half the clothes and twice the money you think you may need. Don't forget sunscreen, insect repellent, and white lipstick.

Cheers,

6. Re: appropriate clothing for end of august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas