We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
7 posts
Save Topic
Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

Hi,

we are heading to Cairns and Port Douglas in December and we want to do some snorkeling and maybe an introductory dive. I've read so many reviews about Wavelength, Silver Swift and all the other boats for day trips to the Great Barrier. I would like to go on a boat smaller in size and fewer people as I would love to have a more personal experience and would like to avoid backpackers (to be honest). Has anyone any suggestions about boats that take fewer people?

Has anyone recommendations for Indigo? (but they only visit one site of Low Isles Island?)

Or does anyone know of private affordable boat charters?

We want to do 2-3 snorkel trips, then also the Daintree Rainforest, a river crocodile tour and a couple of days of relaxing at the beach.

We are flexible as we are going to hire a car. Any recommendations in WHAT to not miss?

Thanks,

Tanya

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

The only boat ouf of PD to the Outer Reef that I can think of which carries fewer passengers than Wavelength (30 max) is Sail Tallarook which carries 21 passengers. I don't know anything about private charters but "private charter" and 'affordable" are generally mutually exclusive terms.

I'm not sure why you want to avoid "backpackers", but the only way to ensure that is by taking a private cruise where you are the only people on board. All of the major boat tours to the Outer Reef are priced about the same so you'll find people from all walks of life on all of the GBR boats.

London, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

Synergy reef sailing have groups up to 12 max so that sounds more suitable

we are also travelling in December and are thinking of the same thing :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

My first though was synergy as well but they no longer do dives :(

Private charter and snorkel ... Tick

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

Longhorn I try to avoid backpackers too

Once bitten twice shy.... Once on cruise and eat lie there is not tomorrow... Not to mention getting on board unable to stand up because it was straight there from the night club.

Pittsburgh...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

Hi.

Thanks for all your messages. I do know that private charter is more expensive and I am willing to pay more if I can avoid backpackers. The reason why I say this, I've had pretty bad experiences in Fiji and New Zealand. Going for a snorkel to see Manta Rays in Fiji for example, we were "only 30" people. I am quite a good swimmer, however, once someone spotted some manta rays the guy next to me was apparently so excited that he pushed my under water to go ahead followed by his fins in my face, and I struggled a lot. He thought it was funny. Clearly I did not. People puking on the boat (and no it was not a rough day and NO it was not because they were sea sick).

I am definitely going to check out synergy reef sailing! Thanks for the tip!

Pittsburgh...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

@longorn74 thanks for the sail tallarook tip! Looks good!

Edited: 27 August 2014, 16:12
7. Re: Small snorkeling boats, best snorkeling sites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:17