We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moderate price 2 BR/2bath in Port Douglas

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
819 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Moderate price 2 BR/2bath in Port Douglas

Planning for July 8th-15th with 2 adult daughter ages 21 and 23.

This will be our first time in Oz from the USA and decided on Port Douglas after reading this forum - since it is the closest to the reefs and 2 of us tend to get queasy on rough seas (hope it is calm during our stay).

Would like something very close to beach and downtown. Would like to pay about $250AUD per night - but flexible to pay a bit more. Any specific suggestions? Everyone seems to like the Verandahs - how far are they from the beach?

Do we need a car in Port Douglas?

Thank you.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moderate price 2 BR/2bath in Port Douglas

Hi and welcome.

Verandahs is about a minute's walk to the beach and not much further to the centre of town.

They are relatively new apartments and also very nice.

I'm not sure that you'll be able to get anything close to town and beach in that price range as July is 'high' season and rates are normally much higher.

If you go to www.pddt.com.au, which is the Port Douglas Tourism website, you can search in the accommodation section with a price range in mind and see what's available.

You could also try Coral sea Villas, they are a few steps from the beach, older style apartments, but well looked after.

Another one that gets good feedback is Central Plaza, however a little further to the beach and town.

A car will depend on where you decide to stay and how much self touring you'd like to do. If you're within walking distance to the main town centre and beach, I would say not to bother, as in July the temperatures are quite mild with very little to no humidity ( or so it seems for us locals, anyway), so walking will be quite pleasant.

And if doing a few tours, you'll find that the majority of time, the car will sit idle, so best just to hire it for a day if required.

If you do plan on doing a bit of self touring, then I would say yes, get a car, and look at the option of picking it up at the airport and dropping it off when you leave, which in turn will save you quite a bit of money in shuttle transfers for 3 to 4 adults.

If I can be of more help, let me know.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,849 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moderate price 2 BR/2bath in Port Douglas

We have stayed at At the Mango Tree twice and enjoyed it very much. Their townhouses have 2 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths on two levels (bedrooms and a full bath upstairs, living room, kitchen, washer&dryer and toilet downstairs). The rate for 3 adults would be under AUD200. The complex is on the main road into town, but is set back quite far from the road, so it's very quiet. In fact, the townhouses back onto a tropical "rainforest" area which is quite nice. The beach is about 1-and-a-half blocks away and the town center is less than 1/2 mile away. There's a excellent sidewalk to town and In July, it will be quite pleasant to walk to and from town. (Even when we had a car, we usually just walked to town in the evening because parking could be difficult.) Note: Maid and towel service is weekly, not daily.

We have been to PD numerous times--sometimes we rented a car for the week and sometimes we took the shuttle from Cairns and then just rented a car for a day. With 3 adults, it will probably be more cost-effective to rent a car for a whole week using it to drive between Cairns and PD and take day trips. However, it depends on how many day trips from PD you plan on taking.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
819 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moderate price 2 BR/2bath in Port Douglas

Thank you both for your comments and suggestions. I will check on the other places recommended. Because we are staying a week, the Verandahs has quoted a rate of $260 per night - which is a good discount over their daily rate and everyone seems to like the location and apts.

As far as the Mango Tree - only having 1 1/2 baths is an issue because 1 shower creates a problem because I have a daughter that spends an hour +- she is an adult and there is no hope - been a life time problem. So just reduces our stress 100% to have 2 baths.

We likely rent a car from the Cairns AP - this will save on the airport transfer costs for 4 both ways. We can also drive ourselves to the rain forest instead of taking a tour. Anymore "must sees" where we could use the car for a day trip instead of taking a tour. Tours get very costly for a family of 4 adults.

Joyce

4. Re: Moderate price 2 BR/2bath in Port Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 13:20