We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
67 reviews
one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

We have one day in Brisbane. Do we somehow go to Gold Coast or Surfers or should we just enjoy Brisbane? Is Gold Gold worth it, if you are not going to snorkel, scuba, surf?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

It wouldn't be worth it to me but then I'm not a huge fan of the Gold Coast (I think the Sunshine Coast is much nicer) I'm not into theme parks and high rise properties. Sure there's more to ache Gold last than that. I prefer doing the galleries I Brisbane and hopping on a city at or the city hoped for river views and also a stroll around Southbank. I also like all the restaurants and bars at Eagle Street Pier. The Lone Pine Koala Sanctuarbis great to.

That's me though and I'm not you. I've no idea what is worth it for you. What do you enjoy doing? Will you have a car for the day?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

There is plenty to see in Brisbane for a day. You will spend 2 to 3 hours driving to and from the coast (depending on time of day).

You could go to::-

South Bank

Maritime Museum

Botanic Gardens

Roma St Parklands

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (Cuddle a koala)

Take a City Cat ride and see Brisbane from the river.

Museum of Brisbane

Science Centre

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

Thanks so much! I´m beginning to think that a day in Brisbane is better for us non-beach-goers. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will now study the city and its attractions. - If Gold Coast or Sunshine coast are just pretty beaches we will skip them. We will be coming from Bali with pretty beaches there.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,592 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

Personally, I prefer the beaches of the Sunny coast to Bali, but with only one day and ypur stated intersts, it does not make sense to drive more than an hour each way to a beach you are not desperate to see.

To add to FrankSue's suggestions, GOMA ino is a must see, as is a Citycat ride downriver to Newfarm Park. A wonderful way to see the city. If you like walking, you can do a self guided walk through the suburb of Newfarm and check out the interesting architecture - especially some of the beautiful "Old Queenslander" homes there. You could walk up to Chinatown then train/bus back to the city.

To cover everything we have suggested you would need three/four days, so choose carefully!

Cheers.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

So many people forget about our beautiful national parks in the Gold Coast Hinterland, about 30 minutes inland from the beach. Mount Tambourine is a pretty drive, from Brisbane a 50 minute drive.... so worth it for the speciality shops, lots of locally made arts and crafts and local cuisine.

Definitely worth the drive!

Here is some more information on Mount Tambourine

https:/…tamborine-mountain

Edited: 21 August 2017, 15:39
lonodn
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

Totally worth it. It’s only an hour away and beaches are beautiful. Bare in mind the people answering this forum have the luxury of seeing these beaches all the time and doing sunshine and Gold Coast. But if GC is still stunning and worth the trip.

But it depends on what you’re used to... if you live by the coast normally and are used to endless views if the ocean you might not be impressed. But if you don’t get to the beach often it stunning. I live in Brisbane and just love escaping to the coast and we do day trips.

7. Re: one day trip from Brisbane to Gold Coast - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2018, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Surfers Paradise