We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

Townsville...
Level Contributor
228 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

We are a family of 8 meeting on the Gold Coast for our holiday next week, and would like to do a day trip to Nimbin for something different. Would anyone have any recommendations of companies that provide shuttle bus/driver services for this kind of day trip please? We would rather travel at our own pace, so would like to hire our own transport instead of catching one of the tourist buses.

Any other suggestions of places to see and go past on the way would be very welcome also!

Thank you,

Jo :)

8 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

Hire two cars. It would be heaps cheaper and easy to do.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

Hi,

>>We are a family of 8 meeting on the Gold Coast for our holiday next week, and would like to do a day trip to Nimbin<<

Err why ? Don't you have enough drug culture and associated problems in Townsville. There are some lovely hinterland town and aside from the setting Nimbin isn't one of them.

Why not do the loop from the coast through Uki to Kyogle and back via Altonville. No ferals and a lovely trip with Mt Warning as a bonus.

Another of the many alternatives would be to go from the Goldy to Beaudesert then Rathdowney, Woodenbong, Grevellia, Kyogle.

IMHO the top 100 places to visit and things to do in the Gold Coast/Byron hinterland wouldn't see Nimbin in the top 10,000.

Fleurger makes a great point about renting two cars.

Cheers,

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

If you are driving into Nimbin be aware that drivers coming the other way may possibly be slightly "impaired".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

I agree with OZRCFLYER about Nimbin.

I drove through Nimbin 2 years ago and didn't see any reason to stop. All I saw was a 3 legged dog and a bunch of people with dreadlocks sittimg around doing nothing.

The coffee shop didn't even look inviting.

Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

Nimbin is amazing. It has a dark side that is growing, but if you actually stop and take the time to explore you will find the most amazing people in the country. Real people - we were offered accommodation on a storekeepers couch if we felt like it. There are many genuine people living the spiritual life if you look past the image. The drum circle is amazing, so is the local bush fruits, skate park, free pool and The John Lennon memorial. Further around, the scenery is brilliant. We went on a bush walk and visited local Aboriginal paintings near Lismore.

Our accommodation was at Teretre. Loved it and intend to use it as our Nimbin base.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,690 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

And you can get fire twirling lessons. I love that there is a competitive marketplace for fire twirling.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,147 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

The countryside around Nimbin is very lovely. The people in Nimbin range from "interesting" to "selling you the modern day equivalent of snake oil" and telling you the Gubberment is Watching.

I love the drive from Rathdowney to Kyogle and exploring that whole area is well worth it - Nimbin would not be the focus of my trip.

Back to the original question: agree with Fleurger. Your only option unless you are a millionaire to hire an eight seater people carrier or two cars and self drive.

Cheers.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
23 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin

Just rent two mini vans from the numerous rental car companies and do it that way.

Reply to: Suggestions for shuttle bus/driver for day trip to Nimbin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Surfers Paradise