We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place

Wollongong
Level Contributor
99 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best place

Where is the best place to stop overnight on the drive to Surfers Paradise from Wollongong (2hrs south of Sydney)?

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place

Will you require

Budget or Luxury?

Water views or Highway convenience?

Casual explore or just a head on a pillow?

Wollongong
Level Contributor
99 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place

Hi, Im not fussy about it being luxury. I would like it to be away from the main highway a bit for the noise factor. Just a hotel room somewhere would be enough, somewhere to rest my head overnight.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place

Geographically speaking, Port Macquarie is about the 1/2 way point between the 2.

Personally, I would push on a bit further and stop over half way on the first day. Perhaps at one of the many, many decent highway motels around Urunga and Coffs Harbour.

Leaves you an easy drive into the Gold Coast on Day 2.

Word of warning, the Highway Patrol are justifiably fierce along this notorious stretch. Be sure to watch your speed.

Wollongong
Level Contributor
99 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place

Thanks. I wasnt sure how far we would get. Ill watch my speed. Ta.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place

There are plenty of cheap motels in Coffs - most usually on the highway. Depending on how far you wish to travel, there is a nice stop a couple of Kms north of Grafton. We've used it plenty of times and it's on a large hill with views west to the mountains. Rooms are clean & comfy and there's a restaurant onsite. I think it's called the Jacaranda Motel. Because it's on the hill, you miss the highway noise, but aren't buried in a back street. It gives you a nice run up to Surfers the next day, arriving mid-day. When we stay here, we have a bit of extra time, so we usually turn east out of Ballina and drive along the coast past Lennox Head, into Byron Bay and have a stop at the Beach Hotel. Just makes a nice trip better.

6. Re: Where is the best place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 01:16