We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

Hey guys,

How far is it really from Mariott resort to the beach?

We (my partner and I) really want to stay in the main area where there's restaurants/bars/pubs etc and easy transport to the theme parks, but close to the beach would be great.

Mariott looks like a really nice resort, which is the kind of place we'd like to stay in, but I don't want to be a long walk to the beach.

Also, does anyone know the cheapest way to book for Mariott? I have an entertainment card which says 50% off the rack rate, but I haven't been able to get through by phone to ask what the rate would be!

1 more thing - is it really busy over Easter in the Gold Coast? And are shops etc open? Or should I just come after Easter?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

Either driving or public transport you wont find any easier place to get to theme parks - and still be close to Surfers......further north would put you closer to Dream World and Movie World, but Marriott is on the main road out of Surfers, and just up the road is the Sea World turn off.

For bars and night life maybe on the Esplanade would be shorter walk. Likewise for beach. Marriott location is really border of the 'main area'. All else being equal I'd choose a Esplanade front property.

You'll probably get 50% of rack rate booking most properties on ratestogo or wotif etc.....they show a regular (query if it is always genuine rack rate which no one ever pays anyway) price and the selling price. Doesnt their website give pricing.

Shops will be open - maybe not on Good Friday.

Easter will be busy but then school holidays fro different states make it busy too.

Some people attending Blue Frestival down at Byron Bay possibly will stay on the coast - not enough room for them all at Byron, and people who would normally go to Byron have to find an alernate beach area.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

Good Advice above.

It's a bit of a quandry really. The Mariott is difficult to beat as far as a good holiday resort goes. Nice rooms and beautiful pool facilities.

But really, the location is pretty average.

A bit of a walk to the beach and into town. Busy road to cross.

Central to the Theme Parks, with easy access.

Yes Easter is very busy and more expensive! Avoid like the plague, if at all possible.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

With the Entertainment Book you can get UP TO 50% off the rack rate but there are often better deals going elsewhere. If you want to check the rates offered go to www.entertainmentbook.com.au/mybookings and search on your dates. It will tell you what the rack rate is and the best rate they're offering. They do offer up to 50% on a range of Gold Coast hotels so it might be worth your while comparing a few.

The Surfers Paradise Marriott is a beautiful resort. It's not too far from the beach but you will have to cross a couple of very busy roads to get to it. It's also a bit of a walk to restaurants, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

Thanks everyone, good advice. :)

Basically I was thinking of this one because of its facilities and 5 star resort style. Is there another one comparable but with a better location? like - beach front?

Read a few things about the Sheraton - but how far is it from Surfers? Seems better for Sea World.

Otherwise I'll probably stay at the Marriott anyway..

Cheers!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

Hi ALK,

The thing with the 50% discount is, that often the rack rate is so over inflated, that the discounted price is just the same as what you would get otherwise.

The Sheraton Mirage is also a top hotel but out of the main Surfers Paradise area by a fair way. It is close to Seaworld and right on the beach.

What age bracket are you and your partner in?

Have you considered Broadbeach?

How long are you staying for? Would you like to be self contained? Or just a hotel room.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

I have stayed at all hotels mentioned, my favourite is Sheraton Mirage but its not close to the action or Surfers.

The Marriott is a lovely hotel with a fab swimming pool but its a long walk across a main road to the beach. Its perfect if you have a car.

Why not try the Sofitel at Broadbeach, its a 2min walk to the beach and offers all the 5 star facilities.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

I'm 24 and my partner is 30. We were kinda looking for a nice hotel with good service and facilities - not an apartment.

thanks for all your help everyone :)

might look in to getting a car so we can explore a bit then. but hope the parking isn't a nightmare!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

we stayed at the SP Marriott many years ago and really enjoyed the lovely resort facilities on offer. the water facilities are good with a small beach at the side of the lagoon(where you can snorkel or scuba dive). the outdoor spas were great too. hmmm...was this one of those pools with a current that moved you along in the water?

walking from the resort to the cavill avenue part of SP took about 12 minutes. perfect strolling distance to work up an appetite.

however, crossing the busy highway and heading straight for the nearest beach(which would be main beach) would take less time...like 6 minutes(depending on the traffic at the highway...lol)

9. Re: Surfer's Paradise Mariott Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 16:17