We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

Some one please please tell me what Schoolies are? I am trying to book accommodation in Surfers Paradise for 4 people including two children aged 7 and 11 for the 29th of November to the 4rd of December and i keep getting replies asking if we are schoolies! hhmmm and the prices are way higher??

So if anyone could tell me that would be great, is it going to effect our time there lol.

Also we are looking at staying at Apt 3504, Q1 Resort & Spa

So if anyone knows of what this place is like please tell me.

Thanks everyone your wonderful.

Regards

Monique

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

Hi,

To put things in perspective for you:

The Tallebudgera Creek is VERY popular with children as the water is flat, yet crystal clear salt water with white sand.

Hundreds, if not thousands of kids swim in the creek (which is more of a river) every weekend if the weather is hot. This all occurs without an issue and under the supervision of a life guard.

Now, having said that, the creek flows to the ocean so it is possible that some nasties may swim in. Dolphins often swim in the creek also. But the chance of having a problem is so remote it doesn't bear getting worked up about. Be aware, but certainly not alarmed.

Just relax, a lot of people live here and we are still here to tell the tale haha

New Zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

Lol thanks for that, can you swim outside of the squared off part of the river?

Like i said im not to bothered about it, ive swam with many a things in the water. But i do need to warn the children as here we would just go jump in anywhere and not have to worry about looking out for anything other than rocks before you jump off a waterfall or bridge or a lake.

OOh dolphines thats cool.

also what would the weather be kinda like? Im taking it that the water temp will be fine? and also how deep does it get in the creek? Its not to shallow is it. One kid is 10 and would get bored very quick!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

I would doubt that your kids will even swim in the sectioned off area. There's really no need. There's so much to do in this area and walking over the nearby Burleigh Headland is a must. You will love it. It's just a short walk along the creek to the surf and weather will be hot enough to swim. Great fishing also.

It's shallow in places but deep enough for boats to use and waterski in the main channel.

Check out the photos of the Tally creek:

seanscottphotography.com.au/…

Edited: 11 March 2010, 01:03
24. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 03:05
25. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 03:05
Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

Schoolies is a crazy time in Surfers Paradise. For mine I would avoid it like the plague. Many things, particularly accommodation will be more expensive. Most of these schoolies are 17, 18 and for alot it is about drinking and partying. Make no mistake, it will be busy, there will be fights, they will be feral and obnoxious .... Not a place I would be with young kids!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

Schoolies is a crazy time in Surfers Paradise. For mine I would avoid it like the plague. Many things, particularly accommodation will be more expensive. Most of these schoolies are 17, 18 and for alot it is about drinking and partying. Make no mistake, it will be busy, there will be fights, they will be feral and obnoxious .... Not a place I would be with young kids!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

You obviously don't think the first 23 replies to this question - which was asked over a month ago, adequately answered it??

29. Re: What is Schoolies & will it effect our holiday with kids?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2010, 05:15