We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go about in Gold Coast ?

malaysia
9 posts
Save Topic
How to go about in Gold Coast ?

Hi all,

Will be coming to gold coast and staying in surfer paradise early Sept and would appreciate some kind information:

1) What kind of airport transfer is available in the airport to go to surfer paradise hotel from Coolangatta airport as I will be reaching on the early morning of Sunday ..... is it easy to get transportation as we have about 3 adults and 4 kids as it is a weekend ?

2) How should i get discounted rates for theme parks such as Movieworld & Seaworld as most of the website gave online discount for local Australian only ..... any place in surfer paradise or the airport that i could buy the tickets for both places?

3) Is it convenient to move around by bus to the theme park as we will most probably be staying in Holiday Inn? How much do they normally charge for a one way trip for adults and kids or is there any special card which we can buy to travel around as we will be going around places the whole day for about a week?

Your kind info is highly appreciated.

Simon

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to go about in Gold Coast ?

If you are staying at the Holiday Inn there's a bus stop out the front of hotel heading south.

you can walk into Cavil Ave, about 2 mins. there are stands around that sell the tickets at discount prices, you can catch the bus to the theme parks and usually have the option to pay in the price.

Taxi's are out the front of airport arrivals all times of the day. you can get what's called a maxi taxi - van - that will take you to hotel.

Singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to go about in Gold Coast ?

If you know how to drive, it will be easier to rent a car and drive around since driving in Gold Coast is pretty easy. You can try to rent a car and pick it up and drop it off at the airport. We did this a few times when we travel to Gold Coast.. Travelling by taxi is quite costly there.

As for the cheaper tickets to the theme parks, you can try to search from TicketMaster website as the last time I got my Dreamworld ticket at least 1/3 cheaper but you will have to collect the tickets from some specific shop that they specify. I also got my Movie World ticket cheaper by printing out some discount coupon via its website. You will need to do that nearer to the date you are travelling.

Enjoy yr trip.

malaysia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to go about in Gold Coast ?

Thanks for the info ...... any good car rental company recommended ? Is there any car rental company based in the Coolangatta airport and are they open on weekend as i will be arriving at around 8am and worry that there is limited transportation available?

Also, is there any good tour company to recommend if we would like to explore the surrounding area?

thank you

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to go about in Gold Coast ?

I'd recommend to get taxi to your hotel first and unwind.

you will have brochures in the lobby of hotel with car rental companies advertised, or they can probably recommend one to you, if you rent out of airport you don't pay as much less tax. there are plenty available. Actually come to think of it there's a rental company opposite the hotel next to the sling shot, avis or trusty.

if you have car you can drive yourself around to areas of interest, there are maps again in foyer and get a sat nav in your car to help you find your way.

malaysia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to go about in Gold Coast ?

hi all, how much will it be to take a taxi or van from the airport to hotel for 3 adults and 4 kids ? Do they charge baggage fees as there will be around 4 bags.

Thank you

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to go about in Gold Coast ?

There are several well known hire car agencies that have desks in the airport terminal.Heres a link

www.goldcoastairport.com.au/car_rentals.php

It is very easy to get from the airport to Surfers Paradise if your driving. The best and easiest way is to turn left onto the Gold Coast Highway as you leave the airport (not a motorway/highway but a main road). Just stay on that road and in approx 15 mins you'll be in Surfers. It is also very easy to find your way once you get to Surfers either with a map or satnav in car.

If you prefer you could catch a taxi - approx $50 - I've never heard of anyone being charged a baggage fee. You'll just need a taxi van so you can all fit. Then hire car from hotel as Coxie advised...

Most hotels have plenty of onsite security free parking for you to use.

Edited: 05 July 2010, 07:14
7. Re: How to go about in Gold Coast ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Surfers Paradise