We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Gold Coast

Malaysia
6 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Gold Coast

Hi, my family and I will travel to sydney on 5-11/8/2013. So I would like to know is it pssible to drive from sydney to Gold Coast? And is it possible for us to make the trip to Gold Coast since we will only reach Sydney on 6/8/2013 morning and will be leaving on 11/8/2013 night time. And also our trip comes with 8 adults and 2 Kids. So Anyone have any idea on the accomodation and also transport?Please share your opinion. Thank you.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

Hello Janice

The Sydney to Gold Coast trip is possible by car / small people mover on the Pacific Highway, however, this trip should not be undertaken unless the driver is knowledgeable and confident on this road.

The trip would take an experienced driver approximately 12 hours to complete providing all passengers are good car travellers.

I would suggest a bus/coach trip as this is safer and everyone will arrive refreshed and ready to enjoy the Gold Coast.

I hope this helps.

Gary

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

yes it is possible but not suggested in your time frame.

it takes about 10 hours each way.

just use your 6 days to enjoy sydney and surrounds.

Greenmount...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

"The Sydney to Gold Coast trip is possible by car / small people mover on the Pacific Highway, however, this trip should not be undertaken unless the driver is knowledgeable and confident on this road"

I politely disagree. The Pacific Highway is one of the best roads in the country, and if you can't handle it then there's not a lot you will be able to do in a car! The road has been upgraded to dual carriageway for most of its length now, has been realigned, and is very safe. I agree with lien however - you're looking at a solid day's drive each way so may be worth reconsidering. There's plenty to do around Sydney; and if you do wish to travel for a day trip there's always the Hunter Valley, Canberra and the Illawarra within range.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

The road is only 50% dual-carriageway. 24 people died on the Pacific Highway last year. Many others were injured.

Malaysia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

Hi.thanks to your advise.i will take this into consideration.

Malaysia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

Hi.thanks to your advise.i will take this into consideration.

By the way, we have 8 adults and 2 kids (age of 2@3).so is it ok if we take 8 seater or we must take the toyota commuter 12 seats? And also for the accomodation, if we take 3 bedroom apartment, is it ok?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

no, it must be a seat for each person, INCLUDING children -wearing seat belts is mandatory.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

I'm not sure if they'd allow you all to stay in a 3-bedroom apartment. Normally, they cater to 6 people, unless they add in extra beds for you (at a cost usually, but check with the accommodation place you're looking at).

You might want to look at 2x 2-bedroom places or 1x 2-bedroom + 1x 3-bedroom place.

Best to contact accommodation places directly, so you can get the exact bedding types you require and other important details.

Mermaid Beach
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

I have driven this route many times and also travelled by bus and train. I have never had any issues driving this route BUT like others say there have been many accidents between Gold Coast and Sydney on the Pacific Highway. I always try to avoid driving at night and respect the people who drive on this road for a living and keep out of their way. There is a lot to see en-route if you take some diversions. It's a personal choice whether you go by bus or train or road. goldcoastinfo.net/transport/getting-there/ has travel times etc.

Accommodation wise you will need to ask the specific hotel or apartment. Most will charge extra for supplying extra beds, but you may find some places that have bunk style bedding which will cater for everyone. I think there are two and three bedroom places around the Burleigh area.

Malaysia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast

Thank you so much for you guys advise. Thanks a lot