We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities for young families in surfers paradise

7 posts
Save Topic
Activities for young families in surfers paradise

Hi I am taking the family up to surfers for a holiday from 28/3 to 3/4. It seemed like a great idea at the time I was doing all my booking, but now that I am trying to plan the actual activities for each day, it doesn't seem like a great idea any more. I need help!

I will have my 3 kids with me aged 1,4 and 7.

Do far the only planned activities I have on my list are :

* Dream world ( cause DD7 loves to hug a koala and we can't do that in VIC, and DS4 might enjoy the wiggles world.) I was thinking maybe also the movie world, butmy kids ddon't watch fixtel/warner bros cartoons, so not sure if they will enjoy looking at characters they have never seen before :/

Or maybe white water world, but I am scared it will be too cold :/

* the mini golf cause they have the dinosaur land Ds4 will like that.

* the night market, cause last time I was there ( kids free and young) they had fabulous fruit leathers.

* sf festival parade on our final night.

* back up plan for rainy/ short days the hotels heated pools as I am scared to let them roam amongst all the jellyfish on the beach :/

Is there any must do's I have forgotten about? Anything else that would be fun for young kids?

P.s hubby and I are not crazy ride fans cause he has a heart condition and I am terrified chicken ;) and will be using public transport mainly.

Amy help is greatly appreciated.

7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

Actually the public transport bit up for debate, as Dh thinks it's a great idea, cause we have the kids etc with us. but I am not so confidant, as I am not familiar with any of the car hire places I have looked up and will only probably use it for the airport transfers and theme parks and I can just get a taxi instead of worrying about car park and toll ways. What do you guys/gals think?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

With three young kids in tow, I wouldn't even consider using public transport. Humping all that stuff you need for a day out + the kids + stroller on and off buses? Madness. You can pick up a rental car at the airport quite cheaply. Have a look at www.vroomvroomvroom.com for deals. We have used Alpha Car rentals in the past and got a good car for under $30 a day.

Other places the kids will enjoy are Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Broadwater Parklands at Broadbeach (free) and Seaworld (better for families that are not into rides as it's not focused on animals). If you have a car you could also take a trip up to Brisbane for the day if the weather isn't great or do a bit of bushwalking in the Hinterland. If all else fails, the kids will be happy playing on the beach and running around.

BTW there are no dangerous jellyfish on the Gold Coast. The worst you will encounter is a Bluebottle sting and that's more of a nasty inconvenience than anything to be alarmed about.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

I would actually be very careful anyway about swimming at GC beaches with young kids as I find them rough and exposed.

Sea world is great for kids your age - if I were to pick one it would be that one.

Currumbin

Mt tambourine

Do you like trains? There is a great train museum in Ipswich which would be a 1.5 hr easy drive at tops, and your kids would love it as well as adults.

Heaps of playgrounds burleigh is nice

Markets at southport on Sundays I think

Don't over plan your holidays as the kids, as you tend to find things that interest you alongside eh way.

Definitely get a car....

Maclean, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

Agree seaworld attractions better for the young. Early morning and sunset walks along beachfront. Evening walk to the Bungy rides and sit and watch for a while . If it's raining do time zone upstairs at cavill ave. walk along the riverfront during the day especially during a sunny weekend. Buy a small cheap kite and try your best on the beach.

7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

Thank you everyone, some great ideas, appreciate it. :) looks like we will be hiring a car after all :)

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

The Aquaduck could be another one to consider. It's really more for the kids rather than yourself, as it's a bus that turns into a boat, and the kids usually get to steer a bit.

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

Just a quick recap on this, we had fabulous time in surfer paradise.

The Peninsula surprised me, after reading son'e horrible reviews on it I was ready for worst, but we had a lovely clean apartment, our washing machine and dryer meant I could do our towels nightly and apart from a few extras we got for pools, we had plenty of towels to go around. Kitchen was great too, plenty of utensils and glassware etc. I can see what people meant by dirty Windows but frankly there was nothing the management could do about it, the seq breeze temperature and the cool room meant there was a lot if condensation on Windows, nothing to spoil the views though, we simply left the balcony door open.

We only managed to fit in dream world in our schedule, as my 7 year old puts it #bestdayever specially the koala photos :)

If you have young kids don't miss rockpools we went there 3 Times, just so much fun for young families, even my 1 year old had a great time :).

we endedup hiring car from Apex great service, best decision ever, I don't even know why I was considering public transport.

The weather was ok, but having a car on the rainy days made all the difference.

And course surf clubs breakfast kept kids happy, and was great value for money :)

Thank you very much for all your help :)

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

Just a quick recap on this, we had fabulous time in surfer paradise.

The Peninsula surprised me, after reading son'e horrible reviews on it I was ready for worst, but we had a lovely clean apartment, our washing machine and dryer meant I could do our towels nightly and apart from a few extras we got for pools, we had plenty of towels to go around. Kitchen was great too, plenty of utensils and glassware etc. I can see what people meant by dirty Windows but frankly there was nothing the management could do about it, the seq breeze temperature and the cool room meant there was a lot if condensation on Windows, nothing to spoil the views though, we simply left the balcony door open.

We only managed to fit in dream world in our schedule, as my 7 year old puts it #bestdayever specially the koala photos :)

If you have young kids don't miss rockpools we went there 3 Times, just so much fun for young families, even my 1 year old had a great time :).

we endedup hiring car from Apex great service, best decision ever, I don't even know why I was considering public transport.

The weather was ok, but having a car on the rainy days made all the difference.

And course surf clubs breakfast kept kids happy, and was great value for money :)

Thank you very much for all your help :)

9. Re: Activities for young families in surfers paradise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:15