We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from a wonderful trip.......

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
84 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from a wonderful trip.......

We stayed at 2 top-notch resorts; Kewarra Beach and Silky Oaks. Both were very nice and far-removed from civilization (which can be good and bad). We finally got up the nerve to "hire a car" or "rent a car" as we say in the U.S. and drove from Cairnes to Mossman, which wasn't too difficult.

We snorkelled with Wavelength, based on info posted on this board. The staff was friendly and we only had 10 in our group. They had 2 perscription masks which and they let my husband use one at no charge. They really helped to make sure the masks fit correctly and provided toothpaste to smear on the masks to avoid fogging ( It sounds weird, but it works). The only thing I voiced my disappointment about, was the fact that all 3 snorkel stops were within 1/4 mile of each other and not very far from shore. (All the other snorkel tours passed us and continued out of view). They were so close that one couple asked to stay a little longer at one site and then were able to just swim over to the following site. We saw about 30 varieties of fish, but we thought the coral was the most impressive. The coral was all different sizes, shapes, and colors and looking at a 30 foot wall of coral was breathtaking.

Mossman Gorge is beautiful, if you have a rental car. Port Douglas has good souvenier shops, but didn't have a very appealing atmosphere. If we were to go back, we'd stay in Palm Cove. It's a quaint little town on the beach, with little stores, restaurants, and several hotels. They have public bus service to Cairnes, but most of the tours will pick you up for around $20US per person.

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip.......

Hi there, I'm glad you had a lovely holiday. We are off to Oz end of July (last day) and cant wait for our trip. We are staying in Palm Cove as part of our trip and your comments have reassured me that we have made the correct choice as we were toying with staying in Cairns. Opted for palm Cove as it looks so picturesque!!

Got any photos to post here in tripadvisor???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,866 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip.......

Gald you liked wavelength.. the distance from shore is not important....it's the water depth and coral quality..snorkelling you need it shallower..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip.......

We were in Port Douglas in march and went snorkeling with Wavelength. I thought they were great also. Did three sites, but one was called "turtle Bay" which was right at the dropoff. So we went out quite away, no where near the shore. But the other two site were fairly close together, as the better snorkelers swam between the sites.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip.......

Great feedback and we'll try Wavelength when we're up there next.

Interesting that you didn't warm to Port Douglas. I go up that way quite often and although I stay in the Palm Cove area (because I like to wake up looking at the water, and you can there) I do like the atmosphere in Port Douglas. There is more of a small-town-centre feel there than in most of the towns in the area, and there are a good variety of restaurants.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from a wonderful trip.......

Great to have your feedback and glad you enjoyed trip.I dont warm to port douglas either.