We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay 4 white haven beach & great barrier reef

Connecticut
Level Contributor
210 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay 4 white haven beach & great barrier reef

Hi everyone, i'm visiting australia in early september 09. I'm just planning ahead so i can let our travel agent know where exactly we want to stay. I just wanted to know what's the best place to go to in able for me to see white haven beach & the great barrier reef. I know there are a bunch of day tours but I'm not quite sure whether to stay in Cairns or Arlie beach. I will be traveling from Sydney to either one.

I would like to stay somewhere thats convenient for those 2 places and much more (shopping, entertainment, dining, nightlife and etc..) Somewhere that's more of a "tourist area." I'd feel much safer and comfortable knowing that im not the only one foreign to these places.

I was thinking of even staying at arlie beach one night and two nights at cairns? If you know of other places please feel free.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay 4 white haven beach & great barrier reef

Cairns is a 1 hour flight from the Whitsundays and with only 3 days I would certainly be seriously considering onsly satying in Airlie as you can still do a reef trip from there.

Cairns has more on offer in terms of nightlife and shopping but you won't get to Whitehaven. To do a whitehaven you'll need at least 2 night in the Whitsundays. Which do you value more... Whitehaven or shopping?

To get to cairns you'll be best to fly from Hamilton island as the land transport option will chew up quite a few hours (mor elike a whole day)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
210 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay 4 white haven beach & great barrier reef

Thank you for the suggestion. Shopping is pretty much my secondary. In fact maybe I can even squeeze in 2 days in Arlie beach and 2 days in Cairns. Were staying around 11-12 days total but with all the traveling that would leave us about 8-9 days of liesure. Were going to be in Sydney for 4 days. So I have about another extra day. Does that sound a little better? Also where should I take the reef trip from? Arlie or Cairns?

How far is Arlie from Hamilton Island? Are there more tourists in Arlie or HI? We like upscale hotels with a great view. Any suggestions are welcome!

3. Re: Best place to stay 4 white haven beach & great barrier reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef