We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterproof Camera

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Waterproof Camera

First time to Australia, I'm looking for a camera to take pictures while snorkeling & on land.

I only snorkel a couple times every other year, and not looking for anything fancy (under $300 US).

Debating on a disposible waterproof camera, or those shock & waterproof types (10 feet under type).

Any recommendations?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,080 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterproof Camera

Many of the tour boats offer waterproof cameras for rent if you don't want to buy one. You might contact the company (or companies) you are considering for your reef tour and see if they rent cameras, what kind of cameras they rent and how much they charge.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterproof Camera

We bought a waterproof Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2 Digital Camcorder (with 8 MP Digital Camera)... pictures came out really well. Good for snorkeling, but not diving as its allowable depth is only 5 feet I think.

Pahoa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterproof Camera

You can buy waterproof cases for most of the Canon cameras. The cases run between $100-150 (less than a waterproof camera), and you can leave the case and all the extra bulk 99.9% of the time you use the camera.

My wife has an A710 (now I think its an A720), and the waterproof case for this works great - very easy to use all the buttons like we normally would.

Aust
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterproof Camera

I used a waterproof disposable. I wouldn't recommend it. There were no colour correctors on the lens so you really couldn't see much in the pictures.

The tour I went on did have waterproof cameras you could rent and some people got some fantastic pictures with them, as they were good quality and had colour-correctors over the lens.

Otherwise, some of the suggestions above might be worth a shot!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterproof Camera

These days you can buy a waterproof camera for a very reasonable price, consider duty free or online before you go. I use my waterproof camera all the time, on and in water and on land and (generally) it takes wonderful shots. If you purchase one you may find you'd use it a lot more than you think.. that's what happened to me ! I would definitely not recommend the disposable ones.. Mine is a Pentax Optio but I confess that I've encountered mroe than a few problems with it so would not buy another, but there are other ones on the market which I know now are very good.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterproof Camera

Disposable underwater camera's can be bad (like any underwater camera) if it is not used right.

I have used the disposable ones with built in flash and the pitcures have come out clearly.

My main tip to taking pitcures whilst snorkeling/diving is to make sure that you are not taking the shot with a shadow behind you.

I always make sure that I take a pitcure on an angle so you do get a bit of natural light.

SB

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterproof Camera

I would look at the Olympus Tough 8000 Digital.

They are a bit more than you were looking to spend ('ve seen it for around $330US online), but they are waterproof to 10m (33ft) so perfect for snorkelling and duck diving down to lower coral formations you couldn't take other cameras down to.

Apart from being waterproof, it's a great digital camera for dry land as well. It's also shockproof, so if you drop it, you don't have to worry.

Perhaps look into getting it duty free and it may be under your price limit.

Here's the official site on it:

olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp…

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterproof Camera

I have used a relatively cheap waterproof housing for a pocket digital and it is OK. For around $US20-40 you will get a quality unit. These are typically rated to 5m depth which shouldn't be an issue snorkelling. And consider that once you go any deeper you need LOTS of light to get good shots (as mentioned, use the flash and get as close as possible to the subject).

You now have plenty left in the budget for a camera suited to dry land so you'll get better quality - you can't go wrong with a Canon Powershot and the SD880 gets great reviews. You may even be able to buy Photoshop Elements for fantastic post processing.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterproof Camera

I brought an olympus 770SW 9(i think thats the model) a few years ago for my trip to the reef and it is great!! Fantastic clear photos and it has underwater settings which tone down some of the blue colours which makes a huge difference. It is shock proof to 1m, waterproof to 3m (they make them to 10m now) and crush proof. my camera is the one we take to the beach to the hotel pools and especially handy when its raining.

I found i took so many photos of the reef as it was all so diffenert that i was pleased to have a digital and not a disposible one as i haven't printed all the photos.

10. Re: Waterproof Camera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 21:20