We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Choice help

Calif
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Island Choice help

We will be in The Cairns, Cape Trib and Townsville area in September. Can anyone suggest a Barrier Reef island experience for 2 adults that is nice with great snorkeling, easy to get to but less than $200

per night....... is this possible to find ?Help !

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Choice help

There are no island stays near Cape Tribulation.

Ther are a number of island stays/resort from Cairns. eg. Green Island (beautiful, great coral viewing, snorkelling, glass bottom boats, pool, lots of dining options). Fitzroy Island (just undergone a major renovation and new ownership). Both are popular day trip destinations too.

A little further south near Mission Beach there are a number of islands too. Dunk Island (family orientated destination, popular with day trippers, snorkelling avaialble on day boat trips, kayaking, pools, gold, horse riding, bushwalking, dining is $$).

Off Townsville, not too certain so will leave for another poster to answer this part of the Q.

As far as rates go, all islands will have different prices depanding on what pakage you want and what time of year you will be visiting. I receommend to get their direct phone numbers off their websites and call to discuss.

Of the above mentioned ones, Green Island I think has the most boxes ticked for you.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Choice help

Fitzroy island would fit your budget as DJJ mentioned.

IMO I wouldn't bother with Green Island at all, sorry DJJ I don't agree, too many daytrippers and the snorkelling not the best.

Double Island is another good one off Ellis Beach, but I think this may be out of your budget.

Magnetic Island off Townsville has many accommodation options as it is a much larger island. From backpacking to luxury.

good luck with the planning on your budget.

Calif
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Choice help

Thanks, Fitzroy was being considered. but I am concerned as I have read Fitzroy Island is a continental island, not a coral cay..... what does that mean in regards to the quality of the snorkeling ?Is it worth the extra money to take a day trip to the outer reef to snorkel from here ??? Thanks !

Does any one know about any of the day trips to the reef

out of Cape Trib ?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Choice help

this is out of cape trib.

know nothing about them.

http://www.oceansafari.com.au/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,808 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Choice help

Coral Cay and $200 per night is a significant challenge....Lady Elliot Island might fit the budget but be prepared to pay significant $$ for transport to/from the island.

The easiest to get to will be Green Island from Cairns but I wont recommend it as I feel too many daytrippers has spoiled this gem.

There are numerous daytrips from Cairns but they have a variety of budgets so perhaps you should consider how much you want to spend ona daytrip...some will cost close to your overnight budget

6. Re: Island Choice help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 07:33