We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birds/Lady Elliot Island

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Birds/Lady Elliot Island

We are looking at doing a day trip to Lady Elliot Island from Hervey Bay. My question relates to birds! Are there really a lot of them? Are they a bit of a nuisance or would you not really notice them? If someone was a bit scared of birds would there be no point going?

Mentioned in this post
Hervey Bay
Hervey Bay
Fraser Coast, Australia
Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birds/Lady Elliot Island

What month? Most of the birds are migratory and come and go with the seasons. You will have some annual residents but the 'BIRDS' movie type is not until summer months until the chicks all hatch.

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birds/Lady Elliot Island

It is December when we will be there

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birds/Lady Elliot Island

Shouldn't be too bad, but there most definately will be birds

Sep the Black Noddy Terns return

Dec the babies start to hatch /Wedgetail Shearwaters(mutton birds) return and lay eggs in burrows on the ground

Feb Shearwater chicks hatch (can be very loud)

Please note - this info is from Heron Island but Lady Elliott is so very close that the migratory patterns should be related

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birds/Lady Elliot Island

I visited in December several years ago.

There were many birds of different species. They were noisy and the mutton birds burrowed under our cabin at night and made a bit of noise. We are right into nature, so we were quiet happy to see them doing their thing.

I didn't find them annoying, nothing to be scared of at all really.