We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January planning help

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
January planning help

Hi all.

We are planning a trip to Australia Jan 2013. We plan to

go to Australian open as well as a GBR. I am a diver and will

be traveling with 3 non divers. Looking for suggestions regarding GBR

places to stay that would allow me to do a little diving as well as allowing my travel companions other activities. Also looking for suggestions for dive operators. I would prefer those that cater to small groups. We were thinking of staying in Cairns for our GBR portion but we are open to suggestions. Lastly are the ''marine stingers'' an issue at this time. THanks in advance.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January planning help

I would stay in either Cairns or Port Dougs.

In Cairns there are attractions like the Kuranda Railway, markets etc.

Port Douglas is good for relaxing and a nicer feel, restaurants, close to the Daintree for a few day trips. Mossman Gorge. And of course Dive boats leave from PD. There are a few smaller operators who leave from PD. We usually hire bikes and ride around PD as well.

Just be aware that it will be very humid, monsoonal rain and it is cyclone season. The stingers are nt an issue for diving out on the reef as you will be in a wetsuit. You would not swim in the sea off the beaches though. Some people so wear stingers suits and swim off the beach. Im not sure if the beach at PD is netted in the cyclone season ? you also get crocs off all the beaches up there, so I personally would be more worried about them!!

Stinger season is October or so to May.

Google PD tourist information and they will have all new operators

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January planning help

Do any dive companies operate out of Cairns ?

3. Re: January planning help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 10:18