We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkeling Port Douglas to Mackay

United States
Level Contributor
137 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Best Snorkeling Port Douglas to Mackay

I'm in the beginning stages of planning an 18 day Australia trip. I want to get in at least a couple fantastic snorkeling trips. Where are the best snorkeing place between Port Douglas and Mackay? I am looking for incredible coral and outrageous sea life (no sharks). I don't know if I should be looking at the inner reef, or the outer reef. I have read about Whitsunday, and I am unclear if that is the best snorkeling or sailing. Any comments, and personal experiences would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Snorkeling Port Douglas to Mackay

If you mean the Whitsunday Islands, they are probably the best for sailing - actually they are glorious for sailing:) You can also visit the reef for snorkling from the Whitsundays - more for marine life than great coral IMO.

The GBR from Cairns or Port Douglas is closer, so you generally get to spend more time snorkling, and the coral is fabulous.

If not on a tight budget, you can fly out to the GBR to allow more time for snorkling.

Hopefully some of the 'snorkling experts' will jump in here with more specific advice.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 23:56
2. Re: Best Snorkeling Port Douglas to Mackay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef