We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neap tide in fall 2013

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
205 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
neap tide in fall 2013

Hello,

I have read some posts that indicate that the viewing of ocean life is best during a neap tide. Would someone please let me know the schedule for neap tides from September-November 2013 and whether this really makes a difference?

Thanks so much.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

work it out yourself from here

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/1b93dc8b-6bd6-4536-b8d2-aabb8ba6f72b/tide_table_cairns_13.pdf

and it's spring down this way in sept-november not fall.

whether it would make difference i am not too sure but u would assume that a low difference between low and high tides would cause less water movement and therefore less sediment disturbance.

in any case when i have been to the reef without delving too deeply into potential conditions the visibility has been fine.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

See www.bom.gov.au - marine- tides -for weekly tides. Divers prefer high tides for best viz, and snorkellers for floating over a reef. Neap high tides occur towards noon so go then but on windy days a low tide is preferred to give shelter behind reefs. Your choice. See link for reef trip tips.

tripadvisor.com/…17292644

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

Neap tides aren't at noon: they occur when the sun and moon are not aligned. So either during the first or third quarter of the moon, at any time of the day depending on the tidal cycle.

In olden days when ships set sail from tidal estuaries, they waited for a good high tide to assist, especially if there were shallows and sand banks to negotiate. So a neap tide - a high tide that was lower than normal - was a bad thing. Captains cursed them.

And hence the expression "neaped in the bud".

(Gosh I had to work hard for that one.)

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

"Neap high tides occur towards noon"??? Er, tide times vary every day! Might be more accurate to suggest a good time for the reef would be when the neap high tide occurs during the day.

But I would simply try to pick a time with any high tide during a calm day, and after a period of calm weather so that there is little sediment to cloud underwater visibility.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

Spring tides ie high highs and low lows occur around full moon and new moon and are early morning - here it's around 7.30 am give or take a half hour.. Then as the moon phase progresses , the high tide will become progessively lower and later each day (approx 1 hr) till say first quarter (7days later ) you get neap tides (low highs and high lows) which then start to increase towards new moon 7days later. I do stand corrected, the neap tide for Cairns (say) is mid/late afternoon as the spring tide at full moon and new moon is around 9am.

Simple huh!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

Oh, so full moons and new moons occur at the same time of the day - early in the morning, do they?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

I agree that the important issue would be a high tide in the middle of the day and calm weather. If the tide is at its lowest when you are out at the reef you often can't swim over the reef as its too shallow so you miss out on seeing quite a lot. And, yes, a calm day would be more important than a neap tide.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

At full moon the spring tide high is in the morning. Low approx 6 hrs later.

At new moon the spring tide high is in the morning. Low approx 6hrs later.

Got it yet? Go look at the tide tables and you'll learn something.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

I had always thought that time was related to the sun's cycles and tides primarily to the moon's.

The sun and moon are synchronised for simplicity's sake in Queensland I guess. :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,007 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: neap tide in fall 2013

The sun and moon are synchronised for simplicity's sake in Queensland I guess. :)

Maybe that's it!! They sure aren't synchronized in Nova Scotia with the world's highest (and lowest) tides on the Bay of Fundy.