We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

Hi All

I am travelling to Australia next month September and will be visiting the Great barrier Reef.

While there i would like to dive, snorkel and really take in the this once in a lifetime opportunity

I want to propose to my girlfriend while on holiday in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I have been looking at Hayman, but it is quite Pricey, especially if you want to add on all the GBR tours, diving etc...

Does anyone have any recommendations where to stay that is just as romantic/beautiful and does not cost and arm and a leg.

Or does anyone recommend staying on Arlie beach for say 3 days or Cairns, using that as a base to do the tours (where to stay here?) or Cairns? then heading to Hayman for 1/2 nights to propose

Any proposal ideas.. i think a gourmet picnic on the beach at sunset and then pop the question.. a message in a bottle.. thoughts?

there are many choices i know, but i am so confused now and need some help

Help! Please!

Thanking all of you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

port douglas.

this site has great accommo.

http://www.beachvillas.com.au/

propose on the beach at sunset. keep it simple. theatrical proposals are a so .....

and wait to the end of your holiday. a refusal early on could spoil your whole holiday.

better still, no need to get married. just live together. ;-)

Edited: 17 August 2013, 21:02
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

You are such a romantic Lien:-)

Greg

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

yep, that's me, greg.

experience has taught marriage is a matter of trial and error. first the error, then the trial.

in fact it's easier to find someone who hates you and then buy them a house.

;-)

Edited: 17 August 2013, 23:09
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,116 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

I'd still consider staying in Airlie.

Perhaos you an seaplane across to Whitehaven and propose there.

IMHO Hayman is fr from romantic, esp in September when it is likely to be kid central due to school holidays.

If you stay up north you could perhaps look at a day trip out to Lizard (big$$ but you'll save on accom on the mainland)

If you want beach and sunset it has to be an island so they face west.

My other suggestion would have been Wilson, but if you mean this September thye would not have vacancies.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

Ignore him Greg - he's just an old cynic ;-)

The islands do rend to be more expensive than the mainland - captive audience?

I love Port Douglas - it has that romantic holiday resort feel and there is some reasonably priced accommodation. September is a great time to visit.

As for the proposal - plan a romantic holiday and the right time will just happen. Sunset, sunrise, middle of the day - there's no wrong time to propose.

Have a wonderful and memorable holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

Another vote for Port Douglas. As Eva mentioned, it has a romantic holiday resort feel but not necessarily with the price tag.

There is even a beautiful white church called St Mary by the Sea right near the beach.

tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g…

Let us know where you end up and all the best with the proposal and trip.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

If you stay in Airlie Beach, you can book a romantic scenic flight over Heart Reef, and pop the question there... tourismwhitsundays.com.au/destinations/…

While she is staring out the window at the Heart, you can get down on one knee inside the plane with the ring... or you could get the company in on the act and get someone down on the beach at Whitehaven Beach to write 'will you marry me?" in the sand for her to see as you fly over that instead of the reef... there are a few exciting options!

Please do let us know what you decide on, and have a great time!

TW

Mentioned in this post
Heart Reef
Heart Reef
325 Reviews
Airlie Beach, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
8. Re: Where to stay Great Barrier Reef and Propose to girlfriend.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 07:19