We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in the Great Barrier Reef vs Whitsundays

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Diving in the Great Barrier Reef vs Whitsundays

Hi,

I have a 4 week trip to South island of New Zealand and the East Coast of Australia from beg Nov 2013 - Dec 2013. As always there is never enough time and too much to see. I will be in Sydney and was thinking to take a flight up to Cairns to do a day's worth of diving in the GBR. After that I'll be going to the Whitsundays and thereafter to Fraser Island, Bryon Bay and back home to London via Brisbane airport.

I've been told I can dive from the Whitsundays too along the south of the reef which would ofcourse save me a lot of time getting up to Cairns etc. However I've also been told that diving from Cairns is totally different to diving in the Whitsundays and is far better as well. Time is tight and I am quite happy to be doing one day's diving in the GBR and am happy to go up to Cairns for this. I dont want to regret having been all the way to Australia and to not have visited it. However I'd just like to know that it is worth it rather than doing it in the Whitsundays.

Could someone please let me know asap what they think as I need to finalise internal flights and my itinerary asap, tomorrow I hope!

Many thanks,

Nina

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in the Great Barrier Reef vs Whitsundays

Hi. I have dived the Whitsundays. I dont have a diver cert or anything just did one on a day trip to the outter reef and had a turn (Loved it!). It was fine. I also did a day trip snorkling the Whisundays and you stop at Whitehaven beach. I recommend probably doing Whitsundays only because its a younger crowd - heaps of backpackers and night time scene - Cairns is possibly the same not sure. If you do fly to Whitsundays its probably Proseipine Airport (which you will need to book a shuttle or something as it is about 1/2 hour -45 min from Airlie Beach.) I wouldn't suggest flying into Hamilton Island. When we were looking getting a boat to the main land (where Airlie is) was expensive.

if you decide to go on the day trip to the outter reef choose rather than the other one (Can't remember the name of the other one) http://www.cruisewhitsundays.com/ is great. Newer boat and nice facilities. Also Ocean Rafting: do the northern exposure one - better viewing. www.oceanrafting.com.au/northern-exposure/

Hope that helps I haven't done Cairns but make sure you don't go to Green Island i think it is the further out you go the better more untouched.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in the Great Barrier Reef vs Whitsundays

Dived a lot in north qld and diving off cairns is better than the whitsundays IMO. It will probably be quicker to fly to cairns and go diving. Remember, DAN recommends no flying for 12 hours after diving... So you may need 2 maybe 3 days up north for a days diving.

3. Re: Diving in the Great Barrier Reef vs Whitsundays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef