We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBR trip -Christmas - help on location please!

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
GBR trip -Christmas - help on location please!

Two of us will be in Brisbane at the end of December and I'm trying to decide if it's worth heading up to the GBR for some snorkelling. The days we'd be there are 1-4 Jan.

Browsing the forums, I've seen that it's stinger and rainy season over this time. Is this a major issue?

Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay (an island, Cairns, Port Douglas or just drive to southern GBR from Brisbane)? Happy to day trip it out to the reef. Would prefer shallow water as I'm not massively confident in deep waters.

Looking at an accommodation under $250/night.

If January is a no go please let me know - we live in Melbourne so it's not a major issue if we can't go.

Thank you!

Liz

(1st time GBF visitor)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBR trip -Christmas - help on location please!

If you have options to go other times if the year, I'd avoid this time if possible. Stinger season means you need to snorkel in a full Lycra bodysuit, the weather could be rainy every day for 4 days. It could also be fine during the day and showers in the mornings and evenings, but it's a risk you take.

2. Re: GBR trip -Christmas - help on location please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:17