We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

Just stayed 3 nights at the new Fitzroy Island.

Good:

Staff are lovely, really trying to ensure you have a great stay.

Rooms are really clean and fresh.

Pool area is nice.

Walk to Summit and Lighthouse - views gorgeous.

Not so good:

No liquor licence yet!! Booked online and had no idea - 3 nights without a beer on an island :(..Those that called to book via island obviously were told and brought their own - lucky them!

TV Reception not good - could only see SBS One.

Brekky finishes at 10am, so if you feel like a lie in on holiday, you will need to wait until Midday for something to eat.

Lemonade and Sunkist available in Restaurant only.

Hotel was fairly quiet - yet all (10) sun loungers taken - will be an issue come the high season.

Resort itself is lovely, however think it is aimed towards families, not couples so much.

I think the above is just due to the fact that it just opened..It is an amazing location, so sure once a few issues are ironed out, it will be fab. Really reasonably priced.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

Hi Sydgirl,

Good to read your post as my partner and I are planning on staying 2 nights on the island while in Cairns & Port Douglas at the end of August.

Thanks for the heads up about no license...it's my birthday while we are there so I would be most unimpressed if I couldn't have some wine!!

I'm interested in your comment about it being reasonably priced....I found a really good deal on a beach cabin (about $210 p/n) but I can't find this price anymore and can only seem to find prices from the resorts own website and prices are $299 - who did you go through to book your room??

What accommodation did you stay in, what would you recommend from what you saw?

Be good to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Helen.

Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

Hi Helen,

For sure, if it is your birthday - take wine!!!! I actually booked on their website directly. Dont know if this was just a special opening price or not?? It was $130 per night- although this was only for the basic room type - not a cabin. If it is your birthday - you would probably prefer something a bit bigger..and with a view of the ocean (we had no view).

I did not actually see any of the other rooms unfortunately, so cannot give you the heads up on these.

In my opinion I would would not recommend for a "romantic" stay. There were quite a few day visitors that took over the lobby/public areas to eat their lunch, and around 4pm (befoe the boat comes back to pick up) they were all laid out asleep on them! Also, think it is aimed towards families, so lots of kids around.

Let me know if you need any further info! Happy to help :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

Your comments are really interesting, thanks.

I had actually looked at staying on Green Island but read some posts about it being taken over by day trippers and thought this would be a nightmare so decided against it. I thought Fitz island looked romantic and ideal for peace and quiet....oh dear I think I would be disappointed now!??

Did you stay anywhere else or recommend anywhere else to stay? Or would one night on the island be ok...what's the restaurant like?? Not that I want slushy romance or anything, but a little wining and dining on an island would be great!!! Lol!

Thanks again, this has been really helpful.

Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

Hello!

Glad to be able to assist. I have not stayed on any other islands, so not able to help with that one!

I think one night on the island would be ok. Restaurant is more of a bistro to be honest (did not have brekky so not sure what that was).

Lunch was sandwiches/fish & chips/steak sandwich etc (about 8 items) and dinner a small buffet. No A La Carte - fairly basic, kids running around (not that the hotel can help with this, but gives you an idea of the type of venue!)

Anything else you need please ask!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

Thanks so much for your advice.

I think that going by what you've said (nothing bad) that it's not really the place I thought it was so I'm going to knock it off our list!

I'll definitely visit the island while we're there though.

Thanks again for your help, I wish everyone was as helpful as you!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

No problem at all. Have a fab time whatever you do!

7. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 10:50
8. Re: Stayed for 3 nights at Fitzroy Island!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2011, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Fitzroy Island
More Fitzroy Island Topics