We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef-Fitzroy Island

Which Fitzroy Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
7 posts
Save Topic
Great Barrier Reef-Fitzroy Island

We are planning on staying a couple of nights on Fitzroy Island the beginning of March, A few questions: will the stingers be at the beach (do we need stinger suits?); is the snorkeling good at Fitzroy Islanjd? If not, will we be able to catch a boat from there to go out further into the GBR in case we want to see more? Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef-Fitzroy Island

It is quite some years now since I visited Fitzroy Island.

Firstly, it is a "continental" island and not a 'coral' or reef island.

I recall the island facilities as being good. There were regular, but infrequent visits by vessels from Cairns during the day.

During summer you would need stinger suits in most areas but be guided by local advice. March is also in the cyclone season so you will need to watch the weather.

Cairndow, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef-Fitzroy Island

We are locals in Cairns and have just spent Xmas on Fitzroy Island.Having made a few trips to the reef over the past few years, I would say that the coral on Fitzroy Island is some of the best I have seen.The guys at the CDC dive shop on the island are brilliant and take snorkelers and divers away from the beach to the more pristine parts of the island and their prices are exceptionally cheap compared to most dive companies in Cairns. It is a really chilled resort and you won't regret going there. Yes it will still be stinger season but you can rent a suit for $10/24hrs and everyone else should be wearing them too so no need to worry about looking daft....:) the dive centre takes a trip out around the corner from the resort at 10.30am every morning so if your time is limited I would advise you get the earlier transfer to the island so as not to miss out...but there is great snorkeling just off the beach too. Enjoy....and I will definitely be returning on a regular basis....

St. Louis, MO
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Barrier Reef-Fitzroy Island

Thank you for your reassurance. We're coming from Missouri ( the Midwest), USA and have snorkeled in Hawaii, Mexico and islands in the Caribbean Sea. We will follow your advice and look forward to this trip.

4. Re: Great Barrier Reef-Fitzroy Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Fitzroy Island
More Fitzroy Island Topics