We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island

Halfway Oregon
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Would Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island

I am organizing a family holiday for Chrsitmas. We are 14 people ranging in ages from 3 to 75 years old. Can anyone tell me if Fraser Island and the KIngfisher Bay resort would have enough activities to keep everyone happy for 3 days. Is Kingfisher as nice as it looks on their website.

Thanks for any info on Fraser Island

LH

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island

There's a lot to see and do on Fraser Island and I think you could easily fill up three days. Kingfisher Bay Resort do offer a range of activities such as 4WD tours, guided walks, kids club, etc.

It really depends what everyone's interests are. It's an eco-resort and the activities they offer are based on getting out and enjoying nature. But of course you can choose to lie by the pool too...

I've provided my review of Fraser Island below:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255078-r851…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island

Fraser Island is a huge place, and you could find plenty to do to fill in three days.

But be prepared to either pay for bus tours, or hire your own vehicles and drive yourselves around.

Hire vehicles from small Suzukis which take four people to Troopies which fit ten passengers are available. Just keep in mind that the roads on the island are unlike those you will see anywhere in the world - rough bouncy sand tracks. These will be a problem for both the very young and the more elderly passengers. Will you have more than one person in your party who is prepared to drive the others around?

If taking guided bus tours you traverse the same roads, but they are a little more comfortable in a large bus. The cost of the tours can be quite hefty.

Read some of the reviews of Kingfisher - some are ok, but many are not very complimentary. Haven't stayed there myself, but have visited the resort for the day. IMHO it's a bit dated, rundown, and definitely over-priced. But accommodation on the island is limited. There are walking tours and other activities organized by the resort, some at no cost, some quite expensive.

The island is beautiful but to see the natural attractions you really need to be mobile. There is walking involved to see the sights. Is everyone in your party able to walk around ok? It's not like walking down the street on a paved path, in many parts of the island outside the resorts the paths are sand.

Hope this helps.

It will be quite hot on the island at Christmas time.

Hervey Bay
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Would Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island

Hi LH,

I actually live in Hervey Bay (which is where you depart from to get to the island) and worked on Kingfisher for a long time. Fraser is a wonderful island - but Kingfisher is getting a little tired - still very lovely.

Best thing for a large family is to get a couple of villas - some come with spa on deck - problem is they require a fair few steps down to main resort area, but they are the best way to stay there.

The older of the group would be best in hotel rooms if the walking would not suit them.

The national park rangers at the resort do a great job with the kids, lots of walks, fishing from the jetty, dolphin cruises, and just playing and laying by the pools. Will keep you busy for 3 days easy.

Give me a yell if I can help you any further!

Regards,

Kim

Landsborough...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island

All depends what you want to accomplish on Fraser Island. If you want to see the surf side Lake mackenzie central station Eli Creek and the Maheno ship wreck I would suggest you rent a house in Eurong and hire a 4wd from Rainbow Beach or wherever you live and drive yourself around. Eurong is good for kids plus you will be seeing the sights of the island, not just confined to a resort such as Kingfisher, I find that it is too far removed from the rest of the island.

as a suggestion check out www.raysplace.com.au I have heard great things about the house and location.

Good Luck

5. Re: Would Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 15:19