We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

Sadly, Fraser Island saw yet another fatal rollover earlier today, killing one and injuring seven others.

abc.net.au/news/…2770113.htm

Tourists visiting the island should really think carefully when hiring a 4WD to drive on the island if they have no 4WD experience. Slow down and drive sensibly. Conditions on the island are particularly bad at the moment - very soft and boggy.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

Maybe its time to consider speed limiters on these backpacker troop carriers... there is no reason why you should need to travel faster than 60km/hr on the eastern beach.

Conditions are extremely difficult at present even for the most experienced drivers. I would not recommend anyone to consider self-drive trips to Fraser Island at present until we have some serious rain and the tracks have been repaired.

Rob

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

Good to have these warnings on the boards. My daughter and her friend hired a four wheel drive on Fraser Island and themselves drove carefully, but another 4WD loaded up with backpackers was hooning along and smashed right into them. Luckily only the cars were hurt in that one but it gives me shivers reading about these more serious accidents.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

here's some more info.

brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/one-dead-sev…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

your beat me to it Templc !

I agree there is no reason for them to go fast & speed is nearly always the culprit :(

We have owned and used 4wds for many years and still do not feel confident in some places at times. In fact we have postponed many trips to Fraser ( and Moreton) due to lack of equipment and/or bad weather conditions. I once had to dig us out - whilst 8 months pregnant - and would not wish that on my worst enemy ! It is amazing there arent more fatalities.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

I think this is the straw that broke the camels back.....it is going to be a fast track and perhaps hasty fix-it by the Govt

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

Good post Templc. Often many questions on a Dutch forum for selfdriving on Fraser Island and I always warn them. Very sad accident.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

Sad news - thanks for posting the info Templc...hopefully other tourists will be aware that using a 4WD needs experience..(IMHO a 4WD license should be introduced before hiring one. )...

EM.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

EM, I wholeheartedly agree that they should introduce a 4WD license if it meant that these kinds of accidents could be avoided.

I feel very sorry for tourists coming to Fraser and hiring a 4WD never having driven one before. The only intruction the hire companies are required to give is making them watch a DVD about driving in sand. That's no way to pick up even the most basic of skills required to drive safely!

Yes, the Qld Govt definitely has to play catch up now and legislate accordingly.

9. Re: Another fatal rollover on Fraser Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2010, 05:19