We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp sites on Frasier

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
6 posts
Save Topic
Camp sites on Frasier

Hello

Looking for a little information on which campsites would be good for first timers to Fraser. Looking for a campground with amenities we have 2 kids 10 and 7 would need toilet and showers.

Cathedral Beach seems to be quiet good any opinions?

looking to go June school holidays 2011

Any info would be very much appreciated

Cheers Steve

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Hi Steve

Cathedral Beach at Fraser is a private camping ground with good facilities for Fraser, I have been there in the past, but not stayed as we stay with friends.

They are in the sand dunes with approx 5-10 minute walk to the beach. I think they have cabins too as I recall.

You'd need a 4wd to get there.

I'd book early especially for school holiday times, as it's a good place for kids, and has showers, toilets and power...a bit of a luxury when camping on Fraser

Gold Coast
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Thanks for your reply

I have a Narvara stx should be no worries

Sounds like it would be a great place for the kids.

Is it handy to lakes?

I have read a few good reports about Dundubara any thoughts?

Cheers Steve

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Sorry I'm not familiar with Dundubara, so can't help. Handy to lakes...just from memory about 20 minutes or so

Perhaps google search for Cathedral Or see if there are any reviews on this site.

Sure someone else will be able to assist.

all the best

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

We take our 9 year old to Dundubara. The facilities are good. Make sure you bring plenty of change for hot showers. It's also not too far a drive down Eastern Beach to Eli Creek, a favourite spot for the young fella to float down, time and time again.

The one most handy to the Lake McKenzie, Birrabeen, etc is Central Station. Only very slightly larger than Dundubara. Also good facilities, depends how close you'd like to be to the beach.

www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/camping.html

Gold Coast
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Thanks Guys

Looks like Dundubara , Central Station or cathedral seem like the place to go, or at least with good facilities.

Central Station is the closest to the beach?

How much for a shower at Dundubara? It will give me an idea of how much change to bring.

Cheers Steve

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Hi Steve,

I would agree that these are the 3 best picks, but would recommend Cathedral Beach, then Dundubara, then Central Station...

Cathedral Beach is by far the biggest and best maintained ground with impeccable facilities and plenty of room. It is close to the beach, yet is not on a primary thoroughfare, and so would be safest for kids and quieter than the others.

Dundubara is also nice and a bit more central if you are only going for a short time.

Central Station is way too busy during peak times.

Rob

Gold Coast
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Great Rob

Thanks for the great advise

Gold Coast
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Guys 1 more question

The camping fee that applies to the government run camp sites , does this apply to the private sites like Cathedrals?

Thanks Steve

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

All three are fine camping areas, but why pay extra to stay at a private campground? - Cathedral.

Emeraldene, what do you mean by some of these places being on a primary thoroughfare? Dundaburra camping area is at the end of a road - no thoroughfare - and has walking paths to the beach. Central Station campground is fully fenced in with two ring roads around the camping area - again not on any thoroughfare.

I am heading up that way next week, and Dundabura has 4 times as many campsite bookings that week as Central Station, so I don't see how Central Station is 'way too busy' in a comparison. All these camping areas can be equally as busy at school holiday time.

If you are going for a short time, Central Station would definitely be the most central area to camp. Both Dundaburra and Cathedral can see you stuck on the beach waiting for the tide to change before you go exploring. No such problem with Central Station. Lakes McKenzie, Basin and Birrabeen which are the most popular of the lakes that have an inland access (Wabby is accessed from the beach) are all closer to Central Station than any of the other major camping areas.

Gold Coast
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Camp sites on Frasier

Great info guys certainly helps a Fraser novice.

Certainly helped me feel more confident about going.

Is it gold coins i need for the showers?

cheers Steve