We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

Ontario Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

Can you give me any feedback on the quality of this tour company?

We are 60-yr old couple, we are considering the 2 day tour for travel in January 2011.

Thanks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
158 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

I've seen the buses a few times and they look good, seemed like mainly younger backpacker market. 2 day trip from Brisbane. You won't arrive on Fraser until lunchtime on Day 1, and depart around lunchtime on Day 2. So you'll spend a day on Fraser. If you are travelling further north, I suggest you take a 2 day tour from either Rainbow Beach for Hervey Bay. You'll get to see more of the island and spend more time at the main sights.

But, If you must travel from Brisbane, it looks like a pretty good company.

Itinerary mentions Lake Birrabeen, which is lovely, but Lake McKenzie is nicer (in my opinion)

Edited: 26 October 2010, 00:27
Ontario Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

Thanks for the feedback. I have been to Lake MacKenzie - totally awesome!!!

Fraser Island is the only place that I have been able to see Dingos in the wild. I will return someday (I am a CanadianTravel Agent who specializeds in Australia - so I send a lot of client there).....

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

I have been on tour with Sunset Safaris, and they offer a brilliant tour. The bus I was in was realy comfortable. We had a fair mix of people on the bus, but most were probably aged between 18 - 35 years, while there were a couple in their 50's next to me who also had a great time.

Even though you don't get onto the Island on the 2-Day tour until just before lunch, we went along the coastline on the beach in the 4WD bus for a free Cooloola tour on the way to Frazer. Our 4WD tour actually started from 9:30am, and we stopped at Red Canyon and Rainbow Beach which were real highlights for me. Scott the tour guide says that this was a short cut to Frazer Island, and that we didn't miss out on any time on the Island. I loved it.

On Frazer Island we saw Lake Birrabeen. We were all assured by our tour guide and the resort staff at Eurong Resort that Lake Birrabeen was better than Lake McKenzie. Whatever the case, it was incredible. We also saw Central Station, Eli Creek and Indian head to name a few places. The tour was very well organised, and we all had a great time at the beach bar at night at the resort. This was the best tour that I have been on while in Australia.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

Hi,

I booked a family of four (two adults 50+ and two kids on a tour to the great barrier reef through sunset tours- for 2nd Jan. I paid extra to up-grade from back packer accommodation to Sandcastles hotel in Agnes Waters and was horrified to find that they were put in to a share dorm with common toilet facilities. I have just complained to the tour company and the girl who answered had no clue about whats happening-did not even know where agnes waters is! While she has promised to refund the extra I paid to upgrade, I am still disapponited with their lack of co-ordination with the tour guide and for having spoilt the holiday for my relatives who are first time visitors to Australia. Just make sure you check everything well before hand. Not yet sure if the tour it-self was good as they are now heading for Fraser Island.

Shira

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

Dear Shira,

Sunset Safaris apologises for the accommodation mix up that occurred on the tour with your family. A full refund of the accommodation was given straight away. As previously stated in an email to you, if your family had only brought this mix-up to the attention to the tour guide, he would had gladly fixed it immediately, (rather than wait until after the tour when it was too late).

We are very disappointed that this situation had somewhat spoiled your family's experience, as the enjoyment of our customers is of greatest importance to us. We only wished that we had known sooner to avoid their disappointment. I trust that the rest of the tour to Fraser Island was enjoyable...

Warmest Regards, :-)

Greg

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

edit:

Edited: 17 June 2013, 02:20
7. Re: Sunset Safari Tours, Fraser Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 07:36
Get answers to your questions about Fraser Island