We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

Working our way up from the Sunshine Coast to Agnes Water/1770 for a day at the reef during our trip in January so definitely going to stop and do a one day tour on the way at Fraser Island.

In a perfect world, I'd love to spend the night before the tour at Rainbow Beach, and then at the end of the tour, catch the ferry back to Hervey Bay for a night there before heading to 1770 the following day... but of course our rental car will be in Rainbow Beach so that doesn't work.

Staying in Hervey Bay on either end cuts down on the total driving time and I really like the looks of Flashpackers Hervey Bay (going to stay with them in Noosa as well), but Rainbow Beach looked pretty nice.

I know the ferry ride is much quicker from Rainbow Beach, but just wondering if there is much to Hervey Bay or if Rainbow Beach is a better place to spend a couple nights? (Nice scenery, etc).

I was originally just planning on staying at Rainbow Beach but then when I saw that Flashpackers also had a nice spot to stay in Hervey Bay it got me thinking that perhaps we should stay there instead...

Any info on the pros/cons to Hervey Bay and Rainbow Beach would really help!

Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

I haven't been to Rainbow Beach for a long time however I can tell you that it is much smaller than Hervey Bay. Both have beautiful beaches. Hervey Bay has no surf as it is protected by Fraser Island but this means you can swim anywhere not just between the flags so the beaches are not crowded like at the Sunshine Coast. Rainbow Beach does have surf but can be fairly flat much of the time. Both are quiet sleepy places not well known for their night life. I wouldn't worry too much about which to choose, if Hervey Bay is more convenient go for it. By the way the ferry ride from Hervey Bay is not very long, from memory the car ferry takes about an hour and the boats that go across to the resorts are even faster.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

there is very little difference between Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay.

I would just head to Hervey Bay. - Don't forget your after the best experience from Fraser island.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

Thanks for the feedback - I was thinking that "Double Island Point" looked pretty spectactular, but perhaps it's not very accessible anyways.

Sorry, last question - does anyone know if the one day tours offered from Hervey Bay are better (cover more spots) than the ones from Rainbow Beach?

I'd like the trip to include Indian Point and Lake Wabby, but maybe this is too much to ask with just a one day trip.

Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

Sorry... hopefully others will be able to answer your question. Basically; I know Fraser Island via sailing around it - through the Great Sandy Straits. I've never ever used a tour - I just know what F/Island has to offer.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

Hi,

Hervey Bay and Rainbow Beach are totally different. If you want more of beach stay, then RB would be the pick to leave from, then if you want a lot more people and services, then it's Hervey Bay. I like RB myself.

IMO one day is not enough, but understand time constraints. January will be busy, so I would book your day tour as soon as possible. There are many tours that leave both Hervey Bay and Rainbow Beach.

I have never taken a tour of Fraser Island as we always had our own 4 x 4s.

I would assume most tours would take in the usuals, Lake MacKenzie, Lake Wabby, Eli Creek, Maheno Wreck, The Lighthouse, Champagne Pools, Sand Blows and Indian Head (A bit of history for you, it's not Indian Point, named by Captain Cook when discovering the east coast of Aus, it's assumed Cook thought the local Aborigines standing the rocky headland were the same as the American Indians) I could go on about what to see, but I'm not sure what the tours will show you. The issue is everything that's worth seeing, are spread from top to bottom and inland. There's a lot to see, and to see it in 1 day is a lot. below are some shortcuts for tours -

fraserexplorertours.com.au/fraser-island-tou…

fraserislandtours.com.au/sites/default.asp

If you are willing to stay a couple of nights, have you thought of hiring a 4 x 4. As long as you are comfortable with driving a 4 x 4 it is truly the best way to see the island. And if you stay a couple of nights in the area you could camp on the island. Shortcut below is previous TA 4 x 4 discussion -

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255078-i2048-k…

Yes Double Island Point is beautiful but has less to see, and is predominately used by campers and 4 x 4ers that don't want to go as far as Fraser Is.

Go to Fraser is and enjoy the experience.

Safe travels - Robert

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

Hi,

As per previous posts it is best to have 2 days or more to see Fraser to really appreciate the Island without rushing around on a quick tour.

There are no 1 day tours that visit Lake Wabby or Indian Head... Indian Head is just too far up the island to get there and back in a day.

Lake Wabby is awesome and a great walk to get there .. but you just can't do that AND Lake McKenzie and everything else in a day ...

My advice would be to replan and budget for a 2 day tour or 3 day self-drive.

Be aware that if you are travelling very early in jan and looking at self-drive, most companies have a 3 day minimum hire over Xmas / New Year / early Jan.

Cheers,

Rob

7. Re: Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:19