We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Island VS Cairns

toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fraser Island VS Cairns

If I plan to go Fraser Island to see the Great Barrier Reef and rain forest, do I need to go to Cairns as well?? Anyone knows?? If they have similar stuff/activities, should I just pick one place? Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

no reef at fraser.

but there is rainforest and some of the most pristine beaches and freshwater lakes u have ever seen.

reef starts a little to the north around the town of 1770.

the rainforest to the north in cairns is completely different. and u get to see the reef as well from there.

so i guess if u have to choose between the two, cairns should be your destination.

pity to miss fraser tho

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,496 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Hi pfan,

First thing you need to know is, Fraser Island is not part of the GBR. Lady Elliot Island which is approximately a 100+kilometres north of Fraser Island is the most southerly part of the GBR.

Fraser Island and GBR are chalk and cheese in comparison, yes Fraser Is has rainforest but it is unlike the rainforests of Far North Queensland.

If you want to see a "rainforest" and the Great Barrier Reef, IMO you should go to the Cairns/Port Douglas area.

If you want to see Fraser Island and the GBR, split your tour, spend some time at Fraser Is, and the rest at Lady Elliot Is. Both are magnificent in their own right.

Some links below to assist.

http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/

http://www.fraserisland.au.com/

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/tropi…

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Mentioned in this post
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Thanks Lien for the info I need and quick help. I just want to save another $1000 may be - if Cairns already have everything.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Thanks Rob! Going to see GBR is my dream and found some forums saying that Fraser is the same. Moreover, it is closer to Gold Coast (my landed airport). That is the reason why I include 2 days to Fraser in my itinerary and 3 days in Cairns. After doing all the research, I find going to Fraser is quite expensive and it seems quite similar with Cairns. Therefore, I may change my plan to spend some more time in Cairns.

Here is my original itnerary :

June 27 - arrive Gold coast airport at 8am; whale watching, skypoint, Infinity

June 28 - dream world

June 29 - natural bridge, Gallery Walk at Tamborine Mountain, Southbank Markets - night market

June 30 - Brisbane Valley markets (morning) and then go to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

July 1 - fraser island tour

July 2 - fraser island, drive back to Brisbane

July 3 - arrival in cairns - great barrier reef

July 4 - great barrier reef tour

July 5 - kuranda tour

July 6 - depart from cairns and back to Gold coast, harbour town outlet

July 7 - depart in the morning, check out and head to GC airport

Mentioned in this post
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
6,570 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,496 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Hi pfan,

It's hard for me to say this as I have been to Fraser 30+ times, but I would miss Fraser and go straight to Cairns from Brisbane. Maybe split the 2 days retrieved, 1 extra day Gold Coast and 1 extra day Far North Queensland to see the Daintree.

Cairns is nice, but if you rent a vehicle, Port Douglas and Palm Cove are fantastic.

http://www.portdouglas.com.au/

http://www.palmcove.com/

http://daintree.localtourismnetwork.com/

Safe travels - Robert

Mentioned in this post
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Your itinerary is too rushed.

Fraser Island and Cairns Wet tropic areas are quite different and both are well with seeing.

If your main intention is to see the reef, then you could also just fly north to the Whitsundays and do your reef trip there, maybe a bit cheaper than flying all the way to Cairns.

You could do Dreamworld and Harbour town in the same day.

Mentioned in this post
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Thanks again Bob and Surfoz for your valuable advices! Will need to make some changes now :) Honestly, I love both places. However, with only 2 weeks times, I can only go somewhere cover the most. :)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Hi Toronto,

Yes, I agree with the above posts.. you are trying to fit too much into a short available time....

It is worth noting in addition to the above comments that Lady Elliot Island is the southern gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, and as an avid diver (and dive master) who has dived all the east coast I can honestly say Lady Elliot Island has some of the best tourist accessible reef on the east coast.

Lady Elliot Island is accessible from Hervey Bay, as is Fraser Island .. so you can see the reef and Fraser only 3 hrs drive north of Brisbane.

The tropical rainforest is a completely different rainforest experience as mentioned by other posters. Whilst you do not have time to do both, they are both worthy of a visit.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Hervey Bay
Hervey Bay
Fraser Coast, Australia
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,679 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Wow.. what a decision !!

I also agree with above post you could actually see the Sth Great Barrier Reef without going to Cairns or Port Douglas.

Lady Elliott / Lady Misgrave & Heron Island are all absolutely gorgeous. We have sailed around them & IMO they are just as good or even better than Nth GBR.

I think you are spending too much time in the Gold Coast. IMO; you would be best to utilize your time in Fraser island & Cairns region if you really want to see them.

I would cut these two days listed below out & add the 2 days onto Port Douglas so you can see The World Heritage Listed Daintree Rainforest.

(June 29 - natural bridge, Gallery Walk at Tamborine Mountain, Southbank Markets - night market -

June 30 - Brisbane Valley markets (morning) and then go to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary ) -

Mentioned in this post
6,570 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraser Island VS Cairns

Hi Rob and Ellemay,

Thanks so much for your valuable suggestions! You guys are so kind! Going to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary mainly to entertain my kids! Since my 6 years old can't dive, I have to give up sometime for him. I think I need to do some more research on Daintree and Port in order to figure out whether I should fly to Cairns (spend another $1000 for flights)!

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia