We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day 2 night small group tour?

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
3 day 2 night small group tour?

Hi

Looking for advice on the best guided tour for Fraser Island. Looking for 3 day/2 nights, small group quality tour. We are mid 40's, very adventurous but do not do roughing it so no back packer trips/ large groups or camping. God that sounds picky!

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

Hi Ian,

When you are going to Fraser Island, picky is good. It's a rare jewell and should be seen in the best possible way.

I have never been with a tour group as I always drive, so have a chat with Rob the contact at the link below, whether you go with them or not I'm pretty sure he'll lead you to the best tour.

emeraldene.com.au/FraserIsland-WhaleWatch-Ac…

You also might want to talk the team at the resort link below -

http://www.kingfisherbay.com/

Also there are tours that leave from the Noosa area. Check with the search engines, can't advise on any of these, best you read the reviews on them. The only issue I have with these tours is that the journey starts at Noosa, which is about 80 kilometres south of Fraser Island by beach driving (2 hour drive), and about 140 kilometres by sealed road (2.5 hour drive).

Good choice of allowed time. To many people just do a day trip, and yes they get to see some parts of the island rushing from one spot to the next, IMO 3 days is the minimum to really enjoy Fraser.

When are you intending to travel??? This will make a difference in the amount of people on the island, especially fisherman. Let us know.

Safe travels - Robert

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

Hi Ian,

What Rob has suggested above is good advice... 3 days is a perfect plan to give time to really enjoy the beauty and tranquility of Fraser.

There are no 3 day / 2 night guided tours (that are not backpacker tours), so I suggest you consider a 3 day / 2 night accommodated self-drive. This would include a Landcruiser 4wd and 2 nights accommodation on the island, with a thorough briefing and suggested itinerary before you depart.

To give you an idea of price, 3 days / 2 nights with car hire, barge transfers, 2 nights accommodation on the island, 2 nights accommodation in Hervey Bay (night before and night after), all park fees etc would be about $1120 for 2 adults.

Cheers,

Rob

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

Thanks for the advice. Not travelling until Jan/Feb next year but just starting to plan the trip

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

OK, Jan and Feb will be extemely busy. You may need to pre-book your tours, January being the school holidays. In your planning might be worth looking at touring Fraser Is in February if this fits?

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

Feb is more likely. Might even be March. Always pre book well ahead anyway

Thanks

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

March would be even better, still warm and a lot less travellers.

Have you thought of basing yourself at Hervey Bay for awhile, from there you can tour Fraser Island with ease, and maybe a side trip to Lady Elliot Island, it's the most southerly part of the GBR and an absolute gem for couples who want a peaceful reef experience.

http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/

http://www.discoverherveybay.com/

herveybaytouristcentre.com.au/whale-watching/

issuu.com/fraserisland/docs/fraserallover…

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

Much appreciated Rob. Noticed your Expert Destination. Climbed Cradle Moutain on a perfect day lat November. Want a stunning experience. Just loved Tassie.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,914 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

Hi Ian, have been here for 8 years. From Brisbane originally and I'm not going back, i go to Cradle at least 4 times a year, yeah it is special.

9. Re: 3 day 2 night small group tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:17